The Student Room Group

Psychology or Anthropology?

Hi!
I'm thinking about applying to Birmingham, Exeter (BSc Psychology), UCL (Anthropology) and St Andrews (Psychology and Social Anthropology). I'm extremely fascinated by both subjects, but I don't know which one would be more useful in terms of career and personal development. I'd like to get current students' opinion about this!

Thanks!!!
Original post by LesFleursduMal
Hi!
I'm thinking about applying to Birmingham, Exeter (BSc Psychology), UCL (Anthropology) and St Andrews (Psychology and Social Anthropology). I'm extremely fascinated by both subjects, but I don't know which one would be more useful in terms of career and personal development. I'd like to get current students' opinion about this!

Thanks!!!

In Scottish universities you usually study 3 subjects for the first 2 years. Therefore, you could do: Psychology, Social Anthropology and something else. If the university offers a joint honours in both the subjects and you want to continue them, then you can graduate with both; or, you can just continue with 1 of them, or combine 1 of them with another subject.
Original post by Quick-use
In Scottish universities you usually study 3 subjects for the first 2 years. Therefore, you could do: Psychology, Social Anthropology and something else. If the university offers a joint honours in both the subjects and you want to continue them, then you can graduate with both; or, you can just continue with 1 of them, or combine 1 of them with another subject.

:smile: Thank you! This is helpful. I was thinking about studying a foreign language as well, so a triple subject honours would be perfect!
Reply 3
Combining your subjects might be a good idea. It'll provide more variety in terms of social life and prospects.I'm not sure if there is a proffessional accreditation for any anthropology course, but I know the BPS (British Psychological Society) require that the course meets certain criteria to be accredited. Some graduate with joint honours psychology degrees with BPS accreditation so that they can pursue a career in psychology of they wish. So the point I'm making is ensure your course, if joint honours, has the relevant professional accreditation.
Original post by o-glez
Combining your subjects might be a good idea. It'll provide more variety in terms of social life and prospects.I'm not sure if there is a proffessional accreditation for any anthropology course, but I know the BPS (British Psychological Society) require that the course meets certain criteria to be accredited. Some graduate with joint honours psychology degrees with BPS accreditation so that they can pursue a career in psychology of they wish. So the point I'm making is ensure your course, if joint honours, has the relevant professional accreditation.

Yes, I made sure that all the psychology courses I'm applying to are accredited by the BPS; unfortunately there's no accreditation whatsoever for any anthropology course :frown: .

Quick Reply

Latest