Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I know people usually post this kind of thread on the Sexual Health forum, but it always takes such a long time to get a response, so I'm posting here.

Okay, so I'm on the combined pill (Cilest) and have been taking it properly, without missing a pill, for over four years. Until this week, when I came back from holiday, forgot to unpack my pills and consequently forgot to take them.

I took Tuesday's pill, but completely forgot about Wednesday or Thursday until I was in bed last night (the reason I remembered is that I had just finished having sex with my boyfriend...).

I quickly took the two missed pills, but I don't know if I am still protected because the advice in the leaflet or online is not entirely clear.

There was a gap of 60 hours between taking the pill on Tuesday morning and the next two pills on Thursday night and.

I know that if you miss two pills then you're not protected, but I don't know if Thursday's pill counts as a missed one, because I remembered to take it 12 hours after I should have done.

I know that the risk is small even if I have missed two pills, and that the only way to know is to do a test, but my break isn't for another two weeks, and I don't want to be worrying about it if I don't have to. So, could I get pregnant? Or am I still protected?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know people usually post this kind of thread on the Sexual Health forum, but it always takes such a long time to get a response, so I'm posting here.

Okay, so I'm on the combined pill (Cilest) and have been taking it properly, without missing a pill, for over four years. Until this week, when I came back from holiday, forgot to unpack my pills and consequently forgot to take them.

I took Tuesday's pill, but completely forgot about Wednesday or Thursday until I was in bed last night (the reason I remembered is that I had just finished having sex with my boyfriend...).

I quickly took the two missed pills, but I don't know if I am still protected because the advice in the leaflet or online is not entirely clear.

There was a gap of 60 hours between taking the pill on Tuesday morning and the next two pills on Thursday night and.

I know that if you miss two pills then you're not protected, but I don't know if Thursday's pill counts as a missed one, because I remembered to take it 12 hours after I should have done.

I know that the risk is small even if I have missed two pills, and that the only way to know is to do a test, but my break isn't for another two weeks, and I don't want to be worrying about it if I don't have to. So, could I get pregnant? Or am I still protected?
    Missing two generally means you've lost the protection so i would consider going to see a pharmacist or your gp for emergency contraception just in case.

ReputationRep:
    There is a chance that you could be pregnant yes, as Thursday's one would count as a missed pill (as you remembered 12 hours after). It's best to go to your GP or to a pharmacy ASAP - you can still use the morning after pill for up to 70 hours after unprotected sex

ReputationRep:
    Yes it counts as a missed pill, taking two does not make up for it, it takes a few days to become properly protected again. It's possible you were still protected from a lasting effect but I'd definitely go to the pharmacy and get the morning after pill to be sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    as others have said, it's best to go to your GP or a pharmacy and get the morning after pill just to be safe. Also if you miss a pill like you did on Wednesday, you shouldn't double up and take them both on the Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.