Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will the new Star Wars film break the all time box office record? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Will the new Star Wars film break the all time box office record?
    Yes
    64.52%
    No
    35.48%

ReputationRep:
    The current record is held by Avatar with $2.788 billion worldwide can Star Wars break the record?

ReputationRep:
    If it gets brilliant reviews, I can see it matching Avatar's $760m in the U.S. and Canada. £70m + in the UK as well. Can't see it beating Avatar's total worldwide gross though. Maybe $1 bn overseas for a $1.8 bn total gross is my guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it'll probably smash that. Several generations of fans that have grown up with the ot, prequels and eu will watch the movie, many of whom will bring their families and/or friends with them. I wouldn't be surprised if people watch it just to see what the hype is about :P

ReputationRep:
    Probably, then it's going to get beaten again by Batman v Superman.

ReputationRep:
    I never realised how big Avatar was! I thought it had been a flop.

I think it will break all records.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    The current record is held by Avatar with $2.788 billion worldwide can Star Wars break the record?
    God, is it? I mean Avatar, yeah, the special fx were scarily good, but was it really that good an actual movie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    God, is it? I mean Avatar, yeah, the special fx were scarily good, but was it really that good an actual movie?
    Avatar was really made by the special fx, the actual movie was good enough to not let it down.
    but lets face it, people love space Indians defeating hordes of goons in helicopters?

ReputationRep:
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Such a fan :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Star Wars: The force has awaken has likely already beat the highest record seen as so many tickets have been sold before the films even out, let's just hope the story is better then Avatar which holds the topspot. Avatar had great visual effects but a very weak done before story for anyone familiar with a film called Pocahontas.

ReputationRep:
    avatar doesn't deserve that top spot

(i hope) the force awakens deserves it and takes over the top spot

ReputationRep:
    No.
    As much as many people like Star Wars, many people also dislike it. I also think it won't be as good as the old ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Probably, then it's going to very beaten again by Batman v Superman.
    I highly doubt that. If The Avengers couldn't beat Avatar then I don't see how Batman v Superman will. Star wars appeals to a much broader audience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    I highly doubt that. If The Avengers couldn't beat Avatar then I don't see how Batman v Superman will. Star wars appeals to a much broader audience.
    BvS got a lot more hype around it than the Avengers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    BvS got a lot more hype around it than the Avengers.
    maybe with die-hard comic fans

the avengers had 5 films leading up to it and, like star wars, appeals to a much broader audience with its tone and style

but we'll see, maybe it could out-gross avengers since it has probably the 2 most popular superheroes of all time, but i do think star wars will take the top spot and keep it

ReputationRep:
    For that it would have to be insanely popular with its target audience, because there are a lot of people who don't like Star Wars.

My prediction is that it will finish under $2bn, perhaps having done slightly more business than Avengers: Age of Ultron.

ReputationRep:
    I've actually had this discussion with a few people, I enjoy speculating box office results for films.

While it would be a cool thing to happen, I really doubt it'll break the record set by Avatar. Firstly, if the second Avengers couldn't even make $200 opening weekend, (and that was advertised as THE summer blockbuster of 2015) then I doubt Star Wars will be able to do it. December has always been a fairly stale month for movies in terms of box office, with mostly Oscar bait films playing which generally don't take in that much due to limited releases.

If we look at the opening weekends for December, the highest is The Hobbit with $84M. I am pretty confident TFA can beat that, I'd estimate around $100M plus opening weekend. I don't think it will beat the highest opening weekend - currently Jurassic World at $208M. TFA will easily make $1bn plus overall but I really doubt it has a chance of dethroning Avatar.

Sources :
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime.../?mo=12&p=.htm (highest openings for December)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/ (highest opening weekends)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/ (highest grossing films of all time not adjusted for inflation)

TL;DR TFA will probably set highest opening weekend for December, but I don't think it will dethrone Avatar.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt it will be better than Avatar but Avatar had so much done to get the record up, like the tickets being more expensive because it was 3D, the sheer length of time it was in the cinemas for, being consistently re-released to keep it in the cinemas even longer. It'll probably break all the things like opening weekend, will probably be the highest grossing film of the year but I doubt it will reach Avatars somewhat cheating levels of box office income.

ReputationRep:
    Naa starwars isnt as popular as it was..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I never realised how big Avatar was! I thought it had been a flop.

I think it will break all records.
    Avatar's opening was fairly normal however unlike other films, it simply failed to lose cinema goers over the first month or so (most films are considered a success if the drop off after week 1 is even 40% a week). It ran a marathon rather than a race and got a huge multiple (the opening weekend to the end total) for it.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Special effects and well written but a poor storyline.

It did'nt deserve the number 1 spot but there we go.

(Original post by ubisoft)
    Probably, then it's going to get beaten again by Batman v Superman.
    Superman has never impressed much at the Box Office and Batman while very strong in the US has never pulled in the numbers it need overseas to really challenge it. Even if fans like the combination i can't see it happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    I'll go for No and try and apply some maths to it..

So the best guide we have i think is Episode 1 (gap is a tad shorter and we have TV series) but there was massive anticipation for that too. Inflation adjusted that made about $1.5bn globally which put it close to third today.

But.. These days the US is less dominant and the highly successful films take 60-70% of revenue from outside the US (Episodes 1-3 were all 51-55%) so we have some Maths to do.

Episode 1 made ~$500m in the US so adjusting for inflation we can expect Episode 7 to gross in excess of $800 rounded up. That is indeed a record with Avatar on $760m the only one to beat.

Now looking overseas it made $600m rounded up so inflation adjusted that goes to in excess of $900m for Episode 7 however Episodes 1-3 only made 53-55% of their gross overseas while 8 of the 23 billion dollar movies have 70% and a majority are well into the 60% range. So lets add 10% to that gross and then round up so that we get $1bn as our overseas figure, that places it 4th-5th.

So in short...

Record daily and weekend totals - Yes. Probably in numerous countries.
    Fastest to a billion - Yes. Beaten twice this year (F&F7 and Jurassic World) so we know people are up for a mad dash the first few weeks.
    Record US total - Yes. I believe it will be 1st or 2nd.
    Overseas - No. Titianic and Avatar pulled $1.5bn and $2bn overseas alone, in no way can i see that replicated.

Final Total..

US: >$800m
    Overseas >$1bn.

Total: $1.8bn (3rd)

*There is a spoiler here in China. It took until 2013 for a western film to break the $100m mark but they seem to have an appetite with F&F7 taking just shy of $400m. None of the pre-2013 films had much help from China. That said, China never got the originals so nobody is really sure whether China will go potty for Starwars or not. Even it takes around $400m though it still only gets to $2.2bn beating Titanic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.