Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hsbc student overdraft watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When i got a student bank account i got a 500 pound interest free overdraft and i was hoping to use some of it to buy christmas presents for my family and im a bit confused, if i use that now in the next couple of weeks, how fast do i have to pay it back? Or will it come out of my next student loan payment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingstaitofh)
    When i got a student bank account i got a 500 pound interest free overdraft and i was hoping to use some of it to buy christmas presents for my family and im a bit confused, if i use that now in the next couple of weeks, how fast do i have to pay it back? Or will it come out of my next student loan payment?
    An interest free overdraft is essentially a free loan from the bank. There is no obligation to pay it back within a certain period of time (of course, you eventually have to pay it back). But since you have a student account, this overdraft will last until you finish university. Therefore your bank balance can be -£500 until then without inciting any interest.

If you take out the whole £500, when your next student loan comes in (say £2000), your bank balance will show £1500. However, you will still be able to take use the whole £2000 without incurring interest.

TL;DR -£500 is essentially the new £0 in this situation.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.