Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personal Statement For Nursing with no work experience Help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need some help with my personal statement for Nursing, I have no relevant work experience, I am currently studying Access to Health diploma, my tutor has told me I have very little chance of getting into University with no relevant work experience. i would like to prove him wrong by writing a good Personal Statement, but would really like some pointers or tips on how to do this without the work experience. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midget44)
    I need some help with my personal statement for Nursing, I have no relevant work experience, I am currently studying Access to Health diploma, my tutor has told me I have very little chance of getting into University with no relevant work experience. i would like to prove him wrong by writing a good Personal Statement, but would really like some pointers or tips on how to do this without the work experience. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks
    To be honest, I've never heard of anyone being successful getting onto an NHS funded course without relevant experience. It's not like getting admitted onto an academic degree course where work experience isn't really relevant and it's more about academic capabilities.

NHS funded courses are vocational - they need to see evidence that you've researched that particular vocation and that you've experienced it. You're going to be competing with applicants who have done work placements, volunteering and people who currently work in the NHS (e.g health care assistants).

Look at it from the admissions officers view point: how can you know that it's what you want to do for the rest of your life if you have no experience of it? They need proof/evidence that you've taken this decision seriously and attempted to get relevant experience.

If you're going to give it a shot you should organize some work experience and then include it in your PS and say that you will be completing the work experience soon. That's the only sensible way around it that I can see because the NHS isn't going to fund £9K per year for someone to train in a career that they haven't experienced first hand.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    To be honest, I've never heard of anyone being successful getting onto an NHS funded course without relevant experience. It's not like getting admitted onto an academic degree course where work experience isn't really relevant and it's more about academic capabilities.

NHS funded courses are vocational - they need to see evidence that you've researched that particular vocation and that you've experienced it. You're going to be competing with applicants who have done work placements, volunteering and people who currently work in the NHS (e.g health care assistants).

Look at it from the admissions officers view point: how can you know that it's what you want to do for the rest of your life if you have no experience of it? They need proof/evidence that you've taken this decision seriously and attempted to get relevant experience.

If you're going to give it a shot you should organize some work experience and then include it in your PS and say that you will be completing the work experience soon. That's the only sensible way around it that I can see because the NHS isn't going to fund £9K per year for someone to train in a career that they haven't experienced first hand.
    Its incredibly rare but I have met people without direct care experience on my degree. They would however have personal experience with illness (or family members) and would have had jobs with transferable skills prior to getting onto the course, like some people were in retail and managed to get a place.But it would have massively helped their application if they had got care experience prior to it (not many people know it but its actually more like 14k that the nhs spends on us so all the more reason to be selective in who they accept:P).

(Original post by Midget44)
    I m afraid i do agree with somethingbeautfiul in that you d be going against people with way more experience than yourself so you re putting yourself at a disadvantage before you've started really so if you can get anything at all, like volunteering, shadowing a nurse before you apply that could make all the difference for your application.

From personal experience, i applied to nursing when I was 17 years old and got 4 rejections as I only had the one weeks work experience. I then applied when i was 19 (after deciding to switch fields) with a lot more experience and another qualification under my belt and i got 4 interview offers very quickly. (Bare in mind it takes some people 2/3 attempts to get a place on a course)

However, if you really do want to attempt this without work experience (which i really wouldnt advise at all)
    Do you have anything at all relatable you can mention in your ps, do you have a job that involves communication/team working? Do you have personal experience of illness at all that you can talk about? (the people on my course that didnt have direct care experience got onto the course as they had plenty of experience in those types of things).
    Also you need to show that you are incredibly aware of what the role of the nurse is so you need a lot written on that, relate your current knowledge to how it would help you in a nursing degree, then do the same thing for any skills, you have like time management (it feels like and should really be treated like a full time job this degree so you need to show serious commitment to it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)

So true, I applied for an NHS funded course before doing my degree in Maths in 2011.
    But got rejected because I haven't had experience in a health-care environment admission tutors love to see experience when deciding whether to give a place to someone. This is something I was never told about when I was in 6th form they were just interested in getting us into uni no matter what course we did even if it was BA hons in Dance!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.