Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey Everyone

im just wondering if you could help/advise me on what Masters degree i should do? I am currently applying for 2, which are MA Political Communication at Cardiff University and MA Journalism at UWE Bristol (where i did my undergrad). I mee the entry requirements for both.

the coure at UWE is BJTC accredited, therefore would be good for the workplace, and is also cheaper (after the 15% discount i get as I was an undergrad there). I would love to be a journalist and go into broadcast journalism 9I did student radio for 3 years). However the course at Cardiff sounds so interesting and it is something I would also pursue to phd level.

I was thinking as the governments new postgrad loan system would cover my fees for the one at UWE, and not cardiff as its England only could do that one first and then do the one at Cardiff, as although I need some advice I will probably do both. Apologies if Im rambling - just need some advice.

ReputationRep:
    (IF the g'ment loans scheme actually runs..... when..... for whom... which courses .... etc. Until that is announced IN DETAIL its very risky to assume any of it will apply to you.)

Both courses have strengths. The BJTC accreditation is valuable but nothing like that is ever going to guarantee you a job. Political Communications is a growing field, Cardiff is a solid Uni. Only you can decide whether the pull of UWE is bigger than wanting to go/do something else.

ReputationRep:
    I think where you did your undergraduate can be a good guiding factor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martniz)
    I think where you did your undergraduate can be a good guiding factor
    Actually that's a terrible guiding factor. What makes you think it has any relevance?

OP - you'll have to decide what you want to do in life, then work backwards and choose the course/uni which gives you the best chance of getting where you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i somehow agree with you and that is why is said "i think"...

ReputationRep:
    Whilst BJTC accreditation won't guarantee you a job, you will need to get it at some point if you want to make a career in journalism in the UK. If you decide on Cardiff, you need to factor in the subsequent time and cost of becoming accredited. Once you're not affiliated to a uni and job hunting, how easy will that be? Will you need to take time out of the workplace to become accredited? And if so, will you have enough money left to support yourself whilst you get that? Are there the equivalent of apprentice or industry training places? If so, would you be eligible for such a scheme if you already have a postgrad qualification in the field?

I think you have more research to do - mainly around your options in the industry after getting a Masters both with or without accreditation. You may find that answering the above questions, will help you make the decision about which uni/course to choose.

ReputationRep:
    Journalism might cover political communication but I doubt that political communication would cover journalism.

If you want to be a journalist then I think the MA journalism makes more sense. I would have thought that this could still lend itself to a PhD in the field of political communication.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.