Turn on thread page Beta

Is having poor social life an university a disadvantage during the job hunt? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am a former student and I did not make any close friends at university because of my Asperger's Syndrome that makes it hard for me to associate with people. In my second and final year i did not go out much because of focusing too hard on my studies and having only a few friends. I spent most of my time alone studying in the library and lived in the halls during the whole of my degree as I couldn't get close enough to any flatmates to get considered for living in a house.

I am worried that recruiters might ask about my social life during university at job interviews and if i tell the truth they will not consider me because many employers are looking for people who have good social skills and can make friends easily. Virtually every job advert says 'excellent communication skills' are necessary. I already had a couple of interviews but nobody ever asked about my social life. On the other hand I once had to fill in a personality test for a job application that grilled me about my interpersonal skills to the point of asking whether I have any friends of the opposite sex. Does anyone else think that employers are keen to know the status of a candidate's social life would consider it a red flag that I couldn't make any proper friends at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I dont have any friends. None of my interviews asked about social life. They might ask about interests outside work.

ReputationRep:
    they aren't going to ask about your friendships don't worry, they will look for evidence of good communication, this is ideally in a work situation e.g. dealing with difficult customers, presentations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by formerstudent92)
    Hi

I am a former student and I did not make any close friends at university because of my Asperger's Syndrome that makes it hard for me to associate with people. In my second and final year i did not go out much because of focusing too hard on my studies and having only a few friends. I spent most of my time alone studying in the library and lived in the halls during the whole of my degree as I couldn't get close enough to any flatmates to get considered for living in a house.

I am worried that recruiters might ask about my social life during university at job interviews and if i tell the truth they will not consider me because many employers are looking for people who have good social skills and can make friends easily. Virtually every job advert says 'excellent communication skills' are necessary. I already had a couple of interviews but nobody ever asked about my social life. On the other hand I once had to fill in a personality test for a job application that grilled me about my interpersonal skills to the point of asking whether I have any friends of the opposite sex. Does anyone else think that employers are keen to know the status of a candidate's social life would consider it a red flag that I couldn't make any proper friends at uni?
    most employers aren't interested in your social life at uni. Where they talk about excellent communication skills they usually want more professional examples- in work experience or if you don't have that, through your degree.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.