Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Continuing my studies. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started an Open University degree in Physics back in 2013 but put it on hold last year. I finished 2 modules and have a total of 90 credits.

I now want continue with my studies. I'm unsure what is the way forward though. Of course I could just keep doing what I was doing and keep working and finish it part-time but I feel like I now want to go back to full-time studying?

If I finished it off full time with the OU, what kinds of finance and student loans would I be entitled too?

If I got another 30 credit module and completed level 1, could I then apply at a brick uni? The only thing that worries me about this is that I didn't too well on the 90 credits I achieved. Are the scores and test results considered when applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel1s1)
    I started an Open University degree in Physics back in 2013 but put it on hold last year. I finished 2 modules and have a total of 90 credits.

I now want continue with my studies. I'm unsure what is the way forward though. Of course I could just keep doing what I was doing and keep working and finish it part-time but I feel like I now want to go back to full-time studying?

If I finished it off full time with the OU, what kinds of finance and student loans would I be entitled too?

If I got another 30 credit module and completed level 1, could I then apply at a brick uni? The only thing that worries me about this is that I didn't too well on the 90 credits I achieved. Are the scores and test results considered when applying?
    You can study full time with the OU, but obviously the OU experience doesn't change other than having more work to do.

If you want to go to a 'real' university then your funding entitlement will be (length of course) + 1 - (length of time spent in HE). So if you've only spend 1 academic year with the OU and you're going into a 3 year BSc it'll be: (3) + 1 - 1 = 3 years entitlement left.

If you study full time with the OU, you get the same funding options as studying part time with the OU. It's distance learning so it's always considered part time.

ReputationRep:
    As above, OU courses are always considered part-time by SF, so you will only ever get a Tuition Fee Loan and no maintenance payments. That's still the case even if you choose to study the equivalent credits per year of a full-time degree.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.