Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Interrupting on medical grounds. watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi there,

    I'm currently on a full-time PGCE course, but it looks like I'm going to need to interrupt due to health issues and return next year. My university is supportive of this.
    I have some questions regarding the financial implications:

    My university say that I should get my student finance extended for 60 days from the date of interruption. I currently receive a Maintenance Loan, Special Support Grant, Parent Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant. Will all of these be carried on for the 60 days?
    Do I need to send any evidence, or will this automatically be accepted due to confirmation from my university of my grounds for interruption?

    Will I qualify for student finance when I return next year and how would I go about applying for this? And if so, there may be an overlap of about 4 weeks next year as I will need to re-start a placement, so I won't be starting exactly from the same point I left off. Would these 4 weeks be funded by SFE or would I need to fund the overlap myself?

    Thanks for your help
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    The extra 60 days of funding will apply to all the funding you receive and will be awarded automatically, as long as your Uni have indicated you are suspending due to medical reasons on the information they have sent us.

    You will be eligible to apply for funding again next year, you should just be able to reapply online as normal. As long as you have had no other previous study, this year will just count as your gift year, so you'll have full funding left for the rest of your course. Therefore, we will fund you from the start of the academic year next year so you won't have to self fund at all.

Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.