Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

18th Nov: What makes you strong? watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    On this week’s Surgery on BBC Radio 1, Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about resilience.

So on anti-bullying week, we want to know: what makes you strong? Whether it’s against bullies, difficult situations or the things that frighten you - we want to know!

Post your comments here, and remember you can post anonymously!

ReputationRep:
    What makes you strong depends entirely on the person. For example, I'm incredibly sensitive, and if people tease me, I used to get really upset and offended, now, I tend not to care so much, if they're being mean, then they don't deserve my attention. Same goes to bullies, in the end when I was getting bullied in year 12, the strongest thing I did was cut them all from my life, deleted them from everything, moved school where I didn't know anyone, I endured it for a whole year until I did that. Now, even if I do ever bump into them, I don't care, because I'm happy. I have people who care about me for who I am. Clicking that delete button and cutting them all off was enough to realise that I am strong, even if they used to tell me otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    The ability to not give a **** what anyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    I have the ability to move past the childish notions some of my fellow black british boys have and i've prtty much stopped acknowledging people who annoy me with anger since ive clocked that i'll probably never see them past sixth form or even have to interact with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    On this week’s Surgery on BBC Radio 1, Gemma and Dr Radha are talking about resilience.

So on anti-bullying week, we want to know: what makes you strong? Whether it’s against bullies, difficult situations or the things that frighten you - we want to know!

Post your comments here, and remember you can post anonymously!
    Optimism makes me stronger. Support makes me stronger. Love makes me stronger. Happiness makes me stronger. Songs with meaningful lyrics make me stronger. Smiles make me stronger. Facing tough things makes me stronger. Watching others be happy and facing through the hardest things in life makes me stronger. Going on through the next hour makes me stronger. Going onto tomorrow makes me stronger. Work makes me stronger.

In other words, all of you make me stronger and I make me stronger.

One of the most amazing quotes I've ever heard is 'What hurts you today makes you stronger tomorrow' - and it's so aspiring and so true. Don't let today beat you up and make you feel down tomorrow. Let today be a lesson or one of those days that causes you to go down just a bit to help push you beyond where you last were. SMILE PEOPLE, AS HAPPINESS MAKES YOU STRONGER
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    After getting through some of the worst life can throw at you, even though sometimes i do get stressed or sad or feel negative, i know that if I go through all that i m strong enough to get through everything in the end

ReputationRep:
    Hope.

Even on the darkest days, hope gets me through. I am unable to lose 100% hope, as there is always a possibility for things to get better(and they always do somehow).

ReputationRep:
    The fact that millions of children are dying and suffering tremendously in developing countries hits me hard all the time so I try to remain strong because my life is probably a hundred times better than theirs even on my worst days
    I'm welling up even thing about them

ReputationRep:
    To accept and reject everything. Meaning to recognise and acknowledge everything and be able to stand strong, even in the face of bullying. If you just block everything out it means you accept to being moved by such weak words- making you weak. Ignorance is never helpful. The same is true for rebuttng in any form. If you get beaten up you should aim to get stronger and be able to withstand blows. For example why do we have pain? Many organisms do not suffer from pain as they are just generated from the brain from stimuli upon nerves. The pain teaches us to avoid dangerous things such as cuts and falls, forcing us to improve or be met with pain again. We are aware of pain yet it can cripple. We owe our existence to this pain. It has taught us to move forward and improve.
    Power has no limit and therefore perfect power can be considered an improving one.

ReputationRep:
    fam i go gym and bench like 60kg
    im basically a tank
    no 1 touches me

ReputationRep:
    What makes me strong is, to remind myself of what I want to achieve. No matter what, I won't let immaturity stop me from reaching my goal. No one should ever think about what people think about you. Feel happy and proud about yourself and you won't ever require the praise of others to make you feel better. )

ReputationRep:
    Islam

Getting through EXTREMELY testing times.

ReputationRep:
    The knowledge that every time I achieve anything I prove that all those who bullied me, or any teachers that said I can't do something are wrong. I just wish I had some way of telling them

Whenever I'm struggling I try to think of things I have already done (that they've probably not done) because I was bullied and went to volunteer for a anti bullying charity. I've been on BBC Radio 1, Met JLS just as some examples. Thinking about these events makes me happy.

Other than that I think about what I want to achive (those kind of life time things that I probably won't do, but it's too early to know) and why I want to do them. That usually gives me motivation to continue.

Quotes also help a lot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Dianabol.

ReputationRep:
    Knowing that I've managed to get through depression,self harm and an eating disorder

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift.

ReputationRep:
    stoicism

ReputationRep:
    The fact that, deep down I know I want to be here on earth and live my life and nothing is going to stop me from doing that. The fact that during my darkest days I was still here even if my mind told me otherwise and that shows the immense strength that I have (apparently). No matter what life throws me, I know things will get better, even if it takes ages.

We all have strength within, we just have to unleash it.

God.
    He's a kind of a mixture of what some of you guys have been talking about: hope, and the knowledge that, no matter what, you can pull through. He makes me so happy! :,)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGMOKBki56k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzvNyMXgU_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDAt7ZWeamA

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.