The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

SA just haven't turned up for this test series.
Reply 181
Original post by moment of truth
SA just haven't turned up for this test series.

Such a shame. I had high hopes for it. Australia and NZ's was disappointing in terms of a contest, too. I wonder if pitches are being TOO tailored for home sides these days...
Reply 182
Jesus Christ. The Windies have lost their one and only tour match before the Test series with Australia.

They've lost by ten wickets to an inexperienced CA XI, who had an average age of 21, and featured six on their debut.

Alarm bells are ringing...
Original post by Mackay
Such a shame. I had high hopes for it. Australia and NZ's was disappointing in terms of a contest, too. I wonder if pitches are being TOO tailored for home sides these days...

Agreed. I was really excited for it too, but have been disappointed by the contest. Has been too one sided.

The only pitch that was possibly 'too tailored' would be Nagpur, in my opinion. Yeah, the Mohali pitch turned from day one, but it didn't turn square or anything, it was still a decent enough pitch. SA got bowled out for 121 on this pitch (4th test match) which has been seen as a good batting wicket, so it can't be all about the pitches.

The biggest problem has been that Hashim Amla and Faf du Plessis have been woefully out of form (especially faf) and you cant rely on just ABDV to win you test matches and they lost Dale Steyn to injury.
Reply 184
Agreed. I was really excited for it too, but have been disappointed by the contest. Has been too one sided.

The only pitch that was possibly 'too tailored' would be Nagpur, in my opinion. Yeah, the Mohali pitch turned from day one, but it didn't turn square or anything, it was still a decent enough pitch. SA got bowled out for 121 on this pitch (4th test match) which has been seen as a good batting wicket, so it can't be all about the pitches.

The biggest problem has been that Hashim Amla and Faf du Plessis have been woefully out of form (especially faf) and you cant rely on just ABDV to win you test matches and they lost Dale Steyn to injury.

They just can't seem to cope with spin, which is such a shame given the quality they possess. Rahane has been exceptional all series, though. I thought SA's first bowling spell today was magnificent, but they failed to capitalise on Morkel's ability.
Original post by Mackay
They just can't seem to cope with spin, which is such a shame given the quality they possess. Rahane has been exceptional all series, though. I thought SA's first bowling spell today was magnificent, but they failed to capitalise on Morkel's ability.

I agree. Amla's failure has been the most surprising, but every great player is allowed to have one bad series.

I am so happy that Rahane scored a century in the first innings, he really deserves it. He has scored runs all over the world and deserves to score at home, too.
Reply 186
I agree. Amla's failure has been the most surprising, but every great player is allowed to have one bad series.

I am so happy that Rahane scored a century in the first innings, he really deserves it. He has scored runs all over the world and deserves to score at home, too.

Definitely. The problem with SA is too many of their key players have suffered a dip in form at exactly the wrong time.
It's the problem you get when you're reliant on a few players. Guys like Smith and Kallis never got replaced and their batting depth is poor now.

Will be worth watching how Amla's batting stands up to the pressures of captaincy. Seems funny to say that given how long he's been captain but SA don't play much test cricket, and they've generally played weaker attacks since he took over. Could just be a freak series, could be the common and understandable problem of captaincy affecting batting. Hope it's the former, he's a class act.
Reply 188
Even the likes of Steyn are nowhere near their former fearsome selves. Mind you, not sure how much we can read into this Test, given SA are at the end of a long and disappointing series. They've probably got both eyes on the plane home.
Yes Rahane - what a monster player! I feel they declared to early, they should have declared when saha got out I feel. But none the less century in both innings was insane given his prior home test performance. Nailed it! Catches also, B Ashwin C Rahane is a wonderful sight
Reply 190
Original post by tazza ma razza
Yes Rahane - what a monster player! I feel they declared to early, they should have declared when saha got out I feel. But none the less century in both innings was insane given his prior home test performance. Nailed it! Catches also, B Ashwin C Rahane is a wonderful sight

Indian batting is still questionable apart from Rahane and Vijay though.

Can't believe Ashwin and Vijay, both from Chennai, are being deployed in this match and aren't being given it off. Even if it isn't a won series (which it is), things like family should come way ahead of sports at this time.
Reply 191
Amla on his way to the slowest half century ever?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I take it all back. Amla playing one of my favourite types of innings here. 20 off 181, strongly supported by ABDV's 3 off 62.
Reply 193
Original post by Louis.
Okay I take it all back. Amla playing one of my favourite types of innings here. 20 off 181, strongly supported by ABDV's 3 off 62.

A great show of steely resilience from Amla. Good to see SA finally showing some grit. What an epic day of cricket. Test cricket in its purest, funniest and most unyielding form. It'll not win over any neutrals, but I love it.
Good to see from SA. Hopefully India can still win this though.
Reply 195
72 runs in 72 overs!
If and hopefully, if they succeed in the draw, it'll be one of the best test match draws I have seen. All relies on Amla.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by Enginerd.
If and hopefully, if they succeed in the draw, it'll be one of the best test match draws I have seen. All relies on Amla.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree. Not one for the non-fans, but I love it. It reminds me of watching two really good Serie A sides in the late-90s/early-00s. Not exhilarating in terms of action, but tactically fascinating.
Can someone explain how SA can draw? I assume it's if they bat out tomorrow as well? I don't really know the 'draw' in test cricket!
Original post by tazza ma razza
Can someone explain how SA can draw? I assume it's if they bat out tomorrow as well? I don't really know the 'draw' in test cricket!

Yeh, have to bat out all 90 overs tomorrow without getting bowled out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest