The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6640
England have been smashed by nine wickets by Pakistan inside 90 minutes on day four, a truly dreadful way to begin their international summer. Pakistan - who were magnificent throughout - did the rest, collecting the 64 runs they needed in 12.4 overs. The tourists performed superbly but unspectacularly like solid old pros who understand the conditions precisely. And they are supposed to be the callow side. They bowled full and straight and let the ball swing and seam a little; they batted with grit and patience and they caught their catches and that was more than enough to overwhelm an England team in some disarray.

A lot of the focus will be on England's failings but let's not forget that Pakistan's bowlers set this game up. Amir, Abbas and Hasan were excellent, with Abbas looking like a Mohammad Asif-lite. It's also a very pleasant surprise for Pakistan to develop two genuine all-rounders in Faheem and Shadab, an element that has been missing for many years.
Reply 6641
Right thoughts on this spot-fixing scandal then?

Al Jazeera have accused some unnamed English and Australian cricketers for purposefully slowing down the run rate during their tests against India.

Trevor Bayliss and Joe Root have denied these allegations. Cricket Australia have yet to decide whether to investigate.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story?id=23620449&spot-fixing-claims-made-england-australia-tests-boards-say-no-evidence
Reply 6642
Amongst the carnage some credit must be given to Ed Smith, Bess batted like he had a fair number of Tests under his belt, moving his feet and opening the blade of the bat and not over-hitting it. Smith's other call, Buttler justified his selection too and there was nothing of the unconventional stroke making that you get in T20. I doubt we'll win but at least we've made Pakistan bat again Stoneman is under a lot of pressure and sadly he's wilting under it. You can see that he is not enjoying his cricket, and he has batted crabbily since the beginning of the season.
Reply 6643
Original post by S.G.
Right thoughts on this spot-fixing scandal then?

Al Jazeera have accused some unnamed English and Australian cricketers for purposefully slowing down the run rate during their tests against India.

Trevor Bayliss and Joe Root have denied these allegations. Cricket Australia have yet to decide whether to investigate.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story?id=23620449&spot-fixing-claims-made-england-australia-tests-boards-say-no-evidence

When it happens to Pakistan - 5 years ban on the best talent around...
When it happens to England/Australia/White nations - "Nah... nothing happened, no evidence!"

I hope Al-Jazeera expose the hypocritical cheating scums...
Reply 6644
Original post by FP5
When it happens to Pakistan - 5 years ban on the best talent around...
When it happens to England/Australia/White nations - "Nah... nothing happened, no evidence!"

I hope Al-Jazeera expose the hypocritical cheating scums...

Personally I hope that they reveal their names and allegations and people decide for themselves what they want to make of it, like the way Amir, Asif and Butt were.

Anyway, I wonder who it is. It’s three England and two Australian.
CSK playing better test cricket than England.
Reply 6646
Original post by S.G.
Personally I hope that they reveal their names and allegations and people decide for themselves what they want to make of it, like the way Amir, Asif and Butt were.

Anyway, I wonder who it is. It’s three England and two Australian.

Honestly, it could be anyone. Probably Warner/Smith/Bancroft lool :smile:
As for England I am thinking Stokes, he plays a lot of IPL and must know all of the bookies in Mumbai.
Reply 6647
Original post by FP5
Honestly, it could be anyone. Probably Warner/Smith/Bancroft lool :smile:
As for England I am thinking Stokes, he plays a lot of IPL and must know all of the bookies in Mumbai.

No chance it’s Stokes, or any of the IPL guys. He’s already got a massive IPL contract. He doesn’t need money.
this is a really good game srh vs csk. Rooting for srh hopefully they can take it away by taking early wickets
Reply 6649
Kumar economy: 4.25
Rest of the SRH bowlers: 11.31
Any of you play cricket? Busting for a game. Quit when I went to uni
Reply 6651
Original post by The Wavefunction

Only school cricket, but that stopped after Y10.

Haven't played in a game since.
Reply 6652
It was the first time in 23 years that England have lost the opening Test of a home summer this previously occurred against West Indies in 1995 and follows a horror winter during which England surrendered the Ashes 4-0 in Australia and endured a 1-0 series defeat in New Zealand. England were chasing the game from day one when, having won the toss, they were all out for 184. Root put that call down to a dry pitch and had no regrets per se. But Pakistan’s seam attack still exploited what live grass there was, with Mohammad Abbas named man of the match following his eight wickets across the two innings.
Reply 6653
Original post by Mackay
It was the first time in 23 years that England have lost the opening Test of a home summer this previously occurred against West Indies in 1995 and follows a horror winter during which England surrendered the Ashes 4-0 in Australia and endured a 1-0 series defeat in New Zealand. England were chasing the game from day one when, having won the toss, they were all out for 184. Root put that call down to a dry pitch and had no regrets per se. But Pakistan’s seam attack still exploited what live grass there was, with Mohammad Abbas named man of the match following his eight wickets across the two innings.

Pakistan are used to playing on dead wickets at home and in the UAE, so even the slightest blade would have been exploited. By day 4 the pitch was a road and England shouldn't have fallen so quickly.

In 2016 didn't England also lose the first Test of the summer to Pakistan at Lord's?

you in east? if someone makes a TSR cricket game nearby I will back it lol - I ain't played it ages and I used to be trained by Naseer Hussain's dad haha
Reply 6655
Original post by FP5
Pakistan are used to playing on dead wickets at home and in the UAE, so even the slightest blade would have been exploited. By day 4 the pitch was a road and England shouldn't have fallen so quickly.

In 2016 didn't England also lose the first Test of the summer to Pakistan at Lord's?

Sri Lanka toured England in 2016 before Pakistan and lost their first test.
Reply 6656
Which one was worse though...?

Whereabouts in the country are you?
Original post by UchihaMadara
you in east? if someone makes a TSR cricket game nearby I will back it lol - I ain't played it ages and I used to be trained by Naseer Hussain's dad haha

Original post by latic_lad
Whereabouts in the country are you?

Cardiff as it stands. Just finished uni though so who knows where I'll be in a few months
Reply 6659
Babar's a very good batsman - and usually when the conditions are tough. He isn't great vs spin - 8/21 Test dismissals have come via spin - and he only averages 28. But you look at how he played Friday and you can only see him as a good player. He left 25 per cent of deliveries and didn't offer a shot to 19 of the 71 balls from pace. But his best innings come when the conditions are against him. That 90 in Hamilton - which saw him end uneaten - and 68 at Lord's here, after a run of five ducks in 2017. In the first 15 overs Pakistan played and missed more than England did. England were in control of the ball 76% of the time, Pakistan a shade under at 74%. England's bowlers didn't bowl badly, but they lacked the penetration. Azhar usually scores 52% on the leg side, this innings he only made 28% of his runs there, but he still stayed put for over 200 minutes. For Babar Azam it was the short ball which, according to CricViz, he averages over 40 against in Tests. They didn't take his wicket, but it was the short ball that eventually made him leave the field injured. They stayed true to their theories, it just didn't work. In seven balls England missed a catch, allowed an easy four, dropped a catch and conceded overthrows. The slip cordon clearly isn't good enough - according to CricViz Cook catches 69% of his catches at slip, a good slip fielder should be at over 80%.

Quick Reply

Latest