The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Great news for English T20 fans: Jayawardene will join Chris Gayle at Somerset for T20 Blast. He'll appear in 12 of the 14 group games, and Gayle will feature in six.
Original post by Mackay
The Ashwin-Badree battle, and who impresses more, will be riveting.

The former hasn't been in great form recently, in truth. I wasn't too impressed with him against Australia, but Badree seems to be a secret weapon for the Windies - especially in the powerplays.

It makes good news for England that any slow-armer they have faced thus far have caused them next to no problems: Badree, Tahir, Santner, Sodhi.

Sure, Vandersay and Rashid Khan got wickets, but England's ability to play spin well serves them well if they go up against the Ravi's (or Badree again) in the final.

Agreed. I wouldn't say Ashwin has been terrible, per se, but he definitely could bowl better (at times). He is one for the big stage, so am hoping for a good performance from him today!

Am just hoping that the Indian batting line up stand up and perform today.
Reply 942
Original post by moment of truth

Am just hoping that the Indian batting line up stand up and perform today.

The onus needs to be on the openers to perform. They've been woefully short throughout the entire tournament. I love Kohli - the man is a master - but how many times, realistically, can he bail India out?

Original post by moment of truth

I wouldn't say Ashwin has been terrible, per se, but he definitely could bowl better

Worth remembering he's dismissed Gayle four times in nine T20 innings: bowled, caught, stumped and LBW.
The world t20 has lived up to expectations in my opinion, some memorable moments with many more to come - I can't see past India though but what a breath of fresh air this England side is, they showed a different brand of cricket last summer and they've managed to take it on to the world scene. There are some serious cricketers in that line up, Root the obvious talent, Buttler the destroyer, then players like Roy winning games for you. The thought of playing in a world cup final at Eden Gardens is something to behold.

With the IPL to look forward to, Billings and Buttler playing. RCB have a ridiculous line up, ABDV, Kohli, Starc (will he be back? not sure), Gayle et al. It should be fantastic.
Original post by Mackay
The onus needs to be on the openers to perform. They've been woefully short throughout the entire tournament. I love Kohli - the man is a master - but how many times, realistically, can he bail India out?

An unlimited number of times.

Kohli is the greatest chaser in limited overs history.
Reply 945
Original post by Real Friends
An unlimited number of times.

Worked well today that.
Original post by Mackay
Worked well today that.

Well, it's hardly his fault
Reply 947
Original post by Real Friends
Well, it's hardly his fault

Agreed - but, like I said, he can't bail them out every time. Too many players haven't stepped up. Indeed, only Kohli and Dhoni have really pulled their weight. Kohli managed more runs than the entire Indian top five put together over the course of the tournament.
Original post by Mackay
Agreed - but, like I said, he can't bail them out every time. Too many players haven't stepped up. Indeed, only Kohli and Dhoni have really pulled their weight. Kohli managed more runs than the entire Indian top five put together over the course of the tournament.

I thought you meant bail them out in terms of chasing, which is why I responded how I did. But you were proven right with what you said
Tfw your dad cancels your sky sports subscription days before the final and El Clasico
Reply 950
Disown him.
Original post by Mackay
Disown him.

I knew it was coming but he told me it was going off next week, but he was wrong. Revised all morning to treat myself so I could watch it, settled into my chair at 2:30 to see that it was gone. Gutted isn't the word.

On a non cricket note, think it's fair that he's turned it off. No champions league and BT getting more and more top draw games (plus I'm in uni most of the time and don't watch it so theres not point in having it) means it's pointless having it.
Reply 952
If the Windies win, I'd love to be on that night out.

The winners of 2010 vs the winners of 2012. Tantalising.
Waqar Younis has been on Pakistani TV vociferously protesting against the leaking of his report to the PCB but not before listing off his playing achievements and stats, Rafa Benitez style. He shouldn't have been given the job in the first place (well, second time round). Just another standard day in Pakistan cricket.
Reply 954
Crikey. I wasn't majorly worried about the Windies, until I read this: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/apr/01/west-indies-darren-sammy-world-t20-final-england

In short:

- They have faced the highest percentage of dot balls of the teams in the World T20 45.4%
- They make up for that with boundaries, though. Against India, 146 of their 190 runs came via 4s and 6s.
- Every one of the top nine to face India had a strike rate above 100 in international T20s.

They really do have a team of match-winners.
^TBH you'd expect that experience from them considering the world-wide franchises the guys like Gayle, Bravo, Sammy etc participate and using that experience to pass onto others and added to that their natural confidence.

BTW if anyone has an hour spare, this piece on Younis Khan's career is a brilliant, informative read into the man's psyche and development. I wasn't overly happy with the way he retired from ODIs but reading this, do have a degree of sympathy for him in the way he has been shabbily treated at times. The King of the Sweep shot which even ABDV during his Sky masterclass was taken from watching Khan. I'd even forgotten the ludicrous episode of his banning in 2009.
Reply 956
Original post by Aky786UK
^TBH you'd expect that experience from them considering the world-wide franchises the guys like Gayle, Bravo, Sammy etc participate and using that experience to pass onto others and added to that their natural confidence.

Absolutely.

It's such a shame that the tournaments are going to occur less frequently now, because I imagine this is the last time we see Gayle and Sammy in a ICC tournament.

They'll definitely be looking to go out on a high.

You look at the stats, and they are intriguing. The Windies have the best economy rate, England have the worst. England have the lowest dot ball percentage, WI have the highest.

Two very effective sides, but both very different.
the thing with the West Indies power players is that it only takes one of Gayle, Russell or Sammy to bat for 5/6 overs to take the game away from you. You always feel like one of those is going to get going.

I think Willey against Gayle is going to be the big battle tomorrow, with his lack of footwork Gayle is always susceptible to the swinging ball, especially early on in his innings. Willey has shown that he can move this white ball in these conditions. Should be an interesting battle!
Reply 958
Original post by The Wavefunction
the thing with the West Indies power players is that it only takes one of Gayle, Russell or Sammy to bat for 5/6 overs to take the game away from you. You always feel like one of those is going to get going.

I think Willey against Gayle is going to be the big battle tomorrow, with his lack of footwork Gayle is always susceptible to the swinging ball, especially early on in his innings. Willey has shown that he can move this white ball in these conditions. Should be an interesting battle!

The issue is that the Windies bat so, so deep. Nine of their 11 batsman have a SR over 100 ffs. The deeper you get into the lineup, the less time they take to play themselves in. They are all big hitters, and sloggers.

I actually think Plunkett could be England's secret weapon tomorrow. According to Morgan, the pitch looks like a grassy, seamer's paradise.
Original post by Mackay
The issue is that the Windies bat so, so deep. Nine of their 11 batsman have a SR over 100 ffs. The deeper you get into the lineup, the less time they take to play themselves in. They are all big hitters, and sloggers.

I actually think Plunkett could be England's secret weapon tomorrow. According to Morgan, the pitch looks like a grassy, seamer's paradise.

I imagine the same goes for England though, possibly to an even more extreme level. Jordan, Willey, Rashid and Plunkett all very capable with the bat. They've all got previous in making quick runs.

Bare in mind that there's a game on the pitch in the morning and the possibility of the groundsman cutting it, I don't think it'll be as green come tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest