The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
The judge has warned the jury on Lou Vincent evidence in the Chris Cairns perjury trial, saying he may have his own interest to serve and they need to treat him with caution.
Got round to the KP programme on ITV and tbh, it's like his book. Interesting insights on his cricket analysis/philosophy but then it turns into a who's who of his mates naturally telling how great he is as a bloke etc, then the acrimony to the end of his England career. Company who produced it, Goalhanger Films (who I think Gary Linekar has a role in), did Rooney's documentary and it seems very managed by the subject's team, no dissentive narrative.
Anyone seen this from Hafeez? Says he won't play in the same side as Mohammad Amir. Not sure I agree with his stance but I definitely feel some sympathy for him.

Original post by Aky786UK
Got round to the KP programme on ITV and tbh, it's like his book. Interesting insights on his cricket analysis/philosophy but then it turns into a who's who of his mates naturally telling how great he is as a bloke etc, then the acrimony to the end of his England career. Company who produced it, Goalhanger Films (who I think Gary Linekar has a role in), did Rooney's documentary and it seems very managed by the subject's team, no dissentive narrative.

A documentary from the other side would be ****ing amazing. Strauss, Swann at the rest explaining why he's a **** and shouldn't be playing :lol:

His new book is supposedly focused entirely on cricket, which could be interesting. I never got round to reading his autobiography but when he talks about cricket it's always fascinating.
Reply 103
Yeah, just realised his new book is called 'KP on cricket'. At least it isn't an updated autobiography with a new chapter dedicated to his meeting with Strauss a few months ago ffs.

The documentary was laughable from the minute he said he preferred team success over his own individual success. He's lying through his teeth.
Original post by Louis.
Anyone seen this from Hafeez? Says he won't play in the same side as Mohammad Amir. Not sure I agree with his stance but I definitely feel some sympathy for him.

I can understand Hafeez POV - it must have been incredibly difficult and suffocating in the aftermath of the 2010 spot fixing scandal and the ODI series was overshadowed. Amir's return seems to be happening very quickly and IMO, if he was to return to the Pakistan team, he ultimately needs to earn the trust of his team-mates who he will be playing alongside but how that happens I've no idea. Hafeez would be no real big loss to Pakistan if he retired in protest tbh.
Original post by Aky786UK
I can understand Hafeez POV - it must have been incredibly difficult and suffocating in the aftermath of the 2010 spot fixing scandal and the ODI series was overshadowed. Amir's return seems to be happening very quickly and IMO, if he was to return to the Pakistan team, he ultimately needs to earn the trust of his team-mates who he will be playing alongside but how that happens I've no idea. Hafeez would be no real big loss to Pakistan if he retired in protest tbh.

Misbah retiring and Amir coming back into the setup at similar times could be massively unstabilising. Massive task for a new captain.
Reply 106
Doubt he'd refuse to play with him if it meant a return to international cricket.
Reply 107
UAE win toss and field first against England in the warm-up ahead of Thursday's T20 international.
Read an "article" on BBC earlier questioning how fast a hundred a player could get. De Villiers has the current record at 31 balls, with 17 being the fastest possible.

Don't think they'll get much faster, would be amazed if anyone could get <25 balls.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Read an "article" on BBC earlier questioning how fast a hundred a player could get. De Villiers has the current record at 31 balls, with 17 being the fastest possible.

Don't think they'll get much faster, would be amazed if anyone could get <25 balls.

Even if you were to face the worst bowler, hitting a 6 on every delivery is IMO impossible. Don't think the 31 ball would be beaten by anyone. ABdV is simply the best batsmen I have ever seen play the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Even if you were to face the worst bowler, hitting a 6 on every delivery is IMO impossible. Don't think the 31 ball would be beaten by anyone. ABdV is simply the best batsmen I have ever seen play the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, no one will hit a 17 ball hundred. It was difficult enough on Brian Lara cricket 2005. 25 balls is a 4 a delivery, which I think is possible, albeit unlikely. Agree about AB, the best I've seen too.
Across all sports these kind of records get pushed down and down, it's human nature. I reckon we'll be under 30 by the end of the decade, remember that ABDV himself has a lot of innings in him.

Scary thing is that De Villiers' generation didn't even grow up on T20 style cricket, they adapted to it. The guys coming through now, who've been brought up on T20 cricket, will have been practicing these ridiculous shots as soon as they were holding a bat. They might be even better at it. And who knows, the next big innovation might be players seeing playing themselves in as a luxury and focusing on swinging from ball 1, and if that happens then anything is possible.

ICC regulation changes might be the only thing that slows them down.
Original post by Louis.
Misbah retiring and Amir coming back into the setup at similar times could be massively unstabilising. Massive task for a new captain.

Most definitely. I think Misbah will have a final tour of England and then retire. Potentially, that might involve integrating Amir back into the side (interestingly Amir is bowling very well in the Bangladesh T20, picking up four wickets including yorking Misbah) because he's the only one with the respect to be able to do that. Amir's bowling like he's never been out of the game for five years. Just a dodgy haircut to sort out.
Reply 113
Roy and Hales seemed to be enjoying finding the boundaries for England against UAE today. They fit 59 and 40 respectively, with Billings keeping wicket pretty neatly in Buttler's absence.

Plunkett was the most expensive seam bowler, though the hosts never really threatened England's tally. Moeen ended up with four wickets, so that'll do him nicely indeed.
AB De Villiers is the best batsman of this generation, for sure. It's hilarious when the likes of Smith are compared to him.

Kane Williamson is becoming something special, though.
ABDV is just insane, No-one comes close. Williamson, Root, Smith and Kohli are the next bunch.

I think the next generation of pinch hitters, someone will get a big and RAPID score (eg after having to chase a crazy score) and then they'll disappear from the game. That's how unlikely and special an innings it will have to be to get better than 31
ABDV is just too much. He has the best chance of beating his own record, lets be honest.
Building on the post above. Maybe the century has reached its glass ceiling in terms of speed, but maybe we could get a 60 ball double hundred. Or maybe even a triple hundred in an ODI game.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Building on the post above. Maybe the century has reached its glass ceiling in terms of speed, but maybe we could get a 60 ball double hundred. Or maybe even a triple hundred in an ODI game.

It's possible. I am not sure if it will happen anytime soon unless ABDV plays another crazy innings though.

The highest score is 264 in an ODI, so 300 is definitely possible.
Reply 119
I find it funny how people dismiss Smith. The bloke has already scored tons in England, SA and the Windies. He's averaging mid-fifties after 30+ tests. He'll probably end with better stats than Ponting.

That said, it's still early for him, Kohli, Root, and Williamson. I actually agree with the post above, and think the latter of the four is probably the best in terms of technique. I think Williamson will have the highest ceiling. This debate is largely superfluous, though. They all have the potential to be the best of their generation (maybe not Kohli, actually, I find him difficult to analyse) so let's just see how they develop over the next decade.

What I do know - after the culture of Cook etc. - is that we're exceptionally lucky to have that quartet, and the likes of ABDV. What an exciting time to watch all three forms of the game!

Quick Reply

Latest