The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Well, there we go. India beat NZ - and it's largely thanks to the tourists conceding a gargantuan first-innings lead, to be honest.

With that victory, India reclaim the top Test spot in the world rankings from old rivals India, and they have their seamers to thank, with the pace bowlers taking 12 out of the 20 wickets during the course of the four days play.

Today, too, Shami chipped in with three, helping skittle out the NZ order - who missed Williamson badly - for 197. India take a 2-0 lead, with Ashwin and Jadeja taking three wickets each too, as NZ offered little resistance bar Latham's spirited 74.

The victory means India captured their fourth series trophy on the trot, and it's 11 wins from their last 12 home Tests, too.

New Zealand did the best they could and dismissed India quickly this morning. Neil Wagner picked up one of them to move his career tally to 99 and Boult got the other, but 376 was too big a target in the final innings and India emerged victorious, and it's clear that their lower order is instrumental in getting them runs on the board these days.
Reply 1781
Couple of good matches to look forward to tomorrow: Pakistan vs WI, and SA vs Australia.

West Indies are yet to win a game since landing in the UAE. They showed some resistance in the second ODI, but they will struggle tomorrow I think and Pakistan have the opportunity to whitewash them in another format. Of course, a 3-0 win will be exceptional for them and propel them above their opponents in the rankings, potentially devastating for WI heading towards the World Cup.

South Africa, meanwhile, are a victory away from sealing their first bilateral ODI series win against Australia in seven years. Their line-up has fired in the absence of ABDV, with du Plessis and de Kock influential and integral.

I imagine we'll see Amla return, and that will give Daniel Worrall, Chris Tremain and Joe Mennie a headache. All three youngsters have struggled to date.

SA have serious strength in depth, too, which will worry Australia: Kyle Abbott, Dwaine Pretorius and Aaron Phangiso haven't made an appearance yet.
Anyone apply for any champions trophy tickets?
Reply 1783
Bangladesh Select XI lose out to England XI today, setting them a total of 309 after posting that score for nine wickets. The tourists responded in kind, hitting 313-6 off 46.1 overs to win by four wickets with 23 balls remaining.

Half of the home side’s players were internationals and they made it a struggle for England.

Chris Woakes was the pick of their bowlers with three for 52, but it was really hot by all accounts and Buttler's side will have to combat that humidity and heat. Ben Stokes and Liam Plunkett were plagued by the sweltering temperatures throughout, and had to leave the field at one stage.

What will be particularly galling for England is the way Rashid was treated - he went for 70+ for just one wicket - and their spinners cannot afford to take that punishment if England are to make a decent fist of things against Bangladesh and India latterly.

Moeen Ali (70) and Buttler (80 not out) spearheaded the reply, though, and got them to the target safely.
Original post by College_Dropout
Anyone apply for any champions trophy tickets?

I, and a few people I know, have applied for tickets to Pakistan v India and you've reminded me that think it's next week when we will get some communication if it has been successful or not. Hitting and hoping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1785
I've gone for a couple of matches - really hopeful I get access to at least one.*
Reply 1786
LOL I just love seeing Australia get beat. One of the finest sights in cricket.

SA take the series, going 3-0 up after a mammoth run chase. David Miller’s stunning century helped them clinch the five-match series in Durban, after Steven Smith and David Warner hit centuries as Australia piled up 371-6. It wasn't to be enough, though, with Miller striking 118 from 79 balls, including six sixes. Andile Phehlukwayo joined in in an unbroken 107-run stand as SA claimed a four-wicket victory with four balls to spare.

I felt the tourists were emerge victorious to be honest, with Finch and Warner clubbing 117 without the loss of a wicket, before Smith's incredible 108.

Just like the previous two matches, though, Australia's inexperienced attack came up short. They started well, with SA slipping to 265-6, but Miller dug deep after appearing to tweak a muscle running between the wickets at one stage. Amla also proved instrumental upon his return to the side, posting 45 in quickfire fashion.

Elsewhere, Pakistan beat WI again - and, my word, the tourists' fielding was dreadful. I really felt for the West Indies bowlers at one stage, because they were doing all they can and were undermined consistently by their field.

Pakistan should have posted more than they did after Azar and Azham clubbed centuries. The former became just the second cricketer to score centuries in each match of a three-match ODI series with his total, and this is the second time Pakistan have whitewashed a series of three or more matches in UAE against WI.

Azhar's ton, meanwhile, is his third as captain and takes him Inzamam and Shahid Afridi, who have two each. Pakistan's middle- and lower-order struggled, in truth, with the ball getting slower and softer in the latter stages of their innings. But WI couldn't rally themselves to take advantage after Pakistan added a mere 76 runs in the final 11 overs.

Wickets fell regularly for the tourists, who struggled and posted far too many dot balls.
So the Bangladesh vs England ODI series starts tomorrow.

Does anyone expect anything other than an easy win for England?
Reply 1788
Original post by Zerforax

Yes. It will be extremely competitive - and some bookies are backing Bangladesh.

England's side may take a while to gel. Hales is missing, Jordan has been omitted, Morgan isn't leading them and Wood is injured. There could be as many as six changes from the last ODI, with Billings, Ball, Finn and Dawson likely on the bench as Vince partners Roy at the top of the order, with Duckett at third.

C'mon... you have to have some faith in Bangladesh. Everyone's a champion in home conditions. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1790
If you look at the experience of Bangladesh, compared to the relatively short-term English boom, then you have to say the tourists will struggle.

I think Wood will be a colossal miss. We'll obviously see him sporadically throughout his career, because he just doesn't boast the fitness levels to be a permanent fixture in the red-ball and white-ball sides. I think he'll retire early, in truth, but he's an incredibly exciting cricketer.

I also think it's a shame Billings isn't making the side. After all, Duckett can act as a wicket-keeper too, so you have to say that Billings is probably fourth-choice now, which is ridiculous given his talent. England have an endless stream of fantastic white-ball cricketers right now, and I can't wait to see Duckett, but a large part of this series will come down to how England cope with the sweltering temperatures, humidity, and the circus of the added security.
Original post by Mackay
Yes. It will be extremely competitive - and some bookies are backing Bangladesh.

England's side may take a while to gel. Hales is missing, Jordan has been omitted, Morgan isn't leading them and Wood is injured. There could be as many as six changes from the last ODI, with Billings, Ball, Finn and Dawson likely on the bench as Vince partners Roy at the top of the order, with Duckett at third.

Should be interesting! Hopefully it's either one sided for a Banglawash or competitive :colondollar:

Original post by Enginerd.
C'mon... you have to have some faith in Bangladesh. Everyone's a champion in home conditions. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I support Bangladesh so I'm backing them to win. Only worry is that they were below par/rusty in the first 2 ODIs against Afganistan.

That said, Afghanistan have some good spin bowlers + can bat against spin whereas England might not find it as easy?
Should be interesting! Hopefully it's either one sided for a Banglawash or competitive :colondollar:

Well I support Bangladesh so I'm backing them to win. Only worry is that they were below par/rusty in the first 2 ODIs against Afganistan.

That said, Afghanistan have some good spin bowlers + can bat against spin whereas England might not find it as easy?

Precisely, Englands batting against spin is below par and I'm actually 50:50 in this series. As long as it's not one-sided, it'll be good to follow. :smile: Good luck to both teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not too long now before Misbah, Yasir and Younis in action :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1794
Edgbaston gets a day/night Test next summer, with England set to welcome West Indies under the floodlights. Awesome stuff.
England batting first and have made a strong start to their innings..
England finish their innings strongly with a score of 309/8.

Won't be easy to chase down 310..

Bangladesh only scored 208, 265 and 279 against Afghanistan in the 3 ODIs.
Reply 1798
Awesome from Stokes and Buttler, and Duckett too.

That innings just shows the strength in depth England have in white-ball cricket. I'm fully convinced there isn't a white-ball or limited overs side in the world as talented as this England one. And, the most important thing, is that they are still so young.

I'm surprised it has taken this long for Stokes to strike his maiden ODI century, but he and debutant Duckett rallied to set England on course after what was a dicey start.

England suffered a brief collapse - losing Bairstow for a duck and Vince and Roy in quick succession, with three wickets falling in 31 balls for just 21 runs.

There are positive signs for Bangladesh as we move further into the series. Their spin-heavy attack found good purchase and troubled England at times, but they will need to improve their fielding and hold onto their chances in the field. Stokes was reprieved by two drops, and Duckett should have been removed quicker than he was, too.
50/1 after 10 overs is a decent start. Tamim just falling in that final over.

Both Tamim and Kayes getting boundaries but not really rotating the strike enough (although admittedly tough in the first 10 overs).

Quick Reply

Latest