Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hear this term so often but I don't understand, is it the new "emo"?

Some people seem to define it as the sort of guy who has a beard, wears skinny jeans etc. But I know lots of guys like that and they say they aren't hipsters in fact they criticise them

ReputationRep:
    Think: William Wallace but with less blood.

ReputationRep:
    Basically hipster is what you call people when you want to comment and have opinions on gay **** like fashion but still have people think you're a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Basically hipster is what you call people when you want to comment and have opinions on gay **** like fashion but still have people think you're a man.
    So you're the hipster or they area?

(Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    Think: William Wallace but with less blood.
    So they all have beards?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss! !!! !finally someone asked the question so i didn't need to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat Rudeboi)
    So you're the hipster or they area?
    I don't have an opinion on them because it's just a bunch of fashion crap. Read Glamour if you care.

ReputationRep:
    A ******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss! !!! !finally someone asked the question so i didn't need to
    I thought you liked hamsters not hipsters

(Original post by ikhan94)
    A ******
    Do you mean they are gay or effeminate straight

ReputationRep:
    I thought you liked hamsters not hipsters

Do you mean they are gay or effeminate straight
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an opinion on them because it's just a bunch of fashion crap. Read Glamour if you care.
    Glamour is a womens magazine

ReputationRep:
    A hipster is someone who tries to act like they're ahead of all the trends and that anything mainstream is beneath them. Usually dress in ridiculous clothing from some "urban outfitters" down in Brick Lane which cost them around 50 quid when it should've been around 5 from Primark. They tend to be pretentious but not all of them are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)
    A hipster is someone who tries to act like they're ahead of all the trends and that anything mainstream is beneath them. Usually dress in ridiculous clothing from some "urban outfitters" down in Brick Lane which cost them around 50 quid when it should've been around 5 from Primark. They tend to be pretentious but not all of them are.
    Isn't hipster clothing (lumbersexual etc.) on trend now though?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't hipster clothing (lumbersexual etc.) on trend now though?
    It's not that on trend at the moment but I get where your coming from. The lines been blurred nowadays...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)
    It's not that on trend at the moment but I get where your coming from. The lines been blurred nowadays...
    I thought it was.. maybe more last year

A hipster is someone who goes against the mainstream. They normally listen to really obscure music and wear clothes most people consider 'weird'. They subscribe to all things indie.
    Most hipsters will deny that they are in fact hipster because then they'd be put in a category And that'd be too mainstream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    A ******
    Nice to see that homosexual tolerance is alive and well on TSR.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    do people like this exist??

ReputationRep:
    The hipster is an interesting specimen I have had the rare chance to observe in its natural habitat, London more specifically Shoreditch, Brixton, Camden Town and surrounding areas.
    Common physical characteristics of the male include super skinny jeans, branded yet artfully battered footwear, i.e. dr martens, vans, 90s nikes/adidas' etc, an assortment of meaningless tattoos etc, sometimes a beard. other types of hipsters may wear tortoiseshell reading glasses, t-shirts from obscure bands, oversized jumpers/shirts etc.
    personality traits include, but are not limited to: Frequenting obscure indie/underground cafes/clubs, a penchant for bands with names beginning with The, i.e. The Smiths, having an uncommon passion i.e. a lover of Cuban coffee, penny collecting, obsessions with vintage vinyl records etc.
    Please note: This list is not exhaustive as hipster is an umbrella term for those whose goal it is to defy the norm/mainstream, there are many variations to the hipster sub-culture.
    Warning: Under any circumstances do not refer to said hipster as a hipster as they will profusely deny this form of labelling and in some rare cases have been known to become violent.

ReputationRep:
    One direction.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.