Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Chem equilibria question help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I need a bit of help with this question!
    To be honest I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong
    I'll explain what I did then hopefully that makes it clearer what I've done wrong!!

The question:
    In an experiment, 9.0 moles of nitrogen and 27 moles of hydrogen were placed into a vessel of volume 10 dm3 and allowed to reach equilibrium. It was found that two thirds of the nitrogen and hydrogen were converted into ammonia. Calculate Kc for the reaction. N2(g) + 3H2(g) == 2NH3(g)

Here's what I did:
    1 - work out how much ammonia was produced, admittedly I wasn't too sure how to do this, so just did as follows:
    (9+27) x 2/3 = 24

2 - Work out the concentration of each reactant/product, so:
    9 ÷ 10 = 0.9
    27 ÷ 10 = 2.7
    24 ÷ 10 = 2.4

3 - Put these into the Kc equation as follows:
    Kc = (2.4)2 over (0.9)(2.7)3

Well, that gives me 0.33 mol-2dm6, but the answer should apparently be 6.6 (same units) and I've tried a few things but can't seem to get to that!

If anybody could do this and (even briefly!) explain how they got there, I'd be really grateful!!

Thank you

P.S For anybody who wondered/noticed, this question was from a worksheet on www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Kugelmugel)
    So I need a bit of help with this question!
    To be honest I'm not really sure where I'm going wrong
    I'll explain what I did then hopefully that makes it clearer what I've done wrong!!

The question:
    In an experiment, 9.0 moles of nitrogen and 27 moles of hydrogen were placed into a vessel of volume 10 dm3 and allowed to reach equilibrium. It was found that two thirds of the nitrogen and hydrogen were converted into ammonia. Calculate Kc for the reaction. N2(g) + 3H2(g) == 2NH3(g)

Here's what I did:
    1 - work out how much ammonia was produced, admittedly I wasn't too sure how to do this, so just did as follows:
    (9+27) x 2/3 = 24

2 - Work out the concentration of each reactant/product, so:
    9 ÷ 10 = 0.9
    27 ÷ 10 = 2.7
    24 ÷ 10 = 2.4

3 - Put these into the Kc equation as follows:
    Kc = (2.4)2 over (0.9)(2.7)3

Well, that gives me 0.33 mol-2dm6, but the answer should apparently be 6.6 (same units) and I've tried a few things but can't seem to get to that!

If anybody could do this and (even briefly!) explain how they got there, I'd be really grateful!!

Thank you

P.S For anybody who wondered/noticed, this question was from a worksheet on www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk!
    Two thirds of the nitrogen and hydrogen were used up - so you can say that two thirds of each of those things were used up.

So figure out how many moles of nitrogen or hydrogen were used and how many moles of ammonia that will make.

The other bit is to make sure that you take away the number of moles used up from the original amount of hydrogen/ammonia when calculating Kc.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Basically,
    2/3 of the nitrogen and hydrogen reacted. So you only have 1/3 of nitrogen and hydrogen left in the mixture at the end. So do 9 moles X 1/3 and you get 3. Do the same with H so times 27 by 1/3 to get 9. Then, 12 moles of NH3 are produced because you need to look at the ratio. I added up the two moles of H2 and N2 to get 36 moles- out of this 36 moles , 2/3 became NH3 so you have 24. HOWEVER, the ratio of reactants to products is 4:2 so you need to divide by two to get 12 moles of NH3

ReputationRep:
    At the start you have 9 moles of N2 and 27 moles of H2

At equilibrium you have 3 moles of N2, 9 moles of H2 and 12 moles of NH3 and the total number of moles is 3+9+12=24

So the concentration of H2 = 3/24. N2 = 9/24 and NH3 = 12/24

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Would anyone mind posting their working leading up to the answer though, because I'm using what you said, but getting an answer that's even more wrong! O_o

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.