Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor signed me off with "Acute Stress" but Boss isn't happy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Basically the Doctor has signed me off with acute stress saying I need some time off (I have lost about 1.5 stone in about 2 weeks, I don't sleep and have a constant headache).

My boss however is really not happy and making it very difficult for me... She keeps texting me saying "when are you coming back" or "did you do this before you were off"

What can I do? Should I just go back to work...?

ReputationRep:
    Did the doc give you a time frame?

I think it's reasonable for an employer to want a rough time frame (I appreciate stress is a difficult thing to gauge) in order to arrange cover or not. If you've told her 14 days and she's contacting you inside of 5 then that's unreasonable.

Same deal with the enquiring about completed tasks. It's reasonable to ask, assuming it's not judgemental or implying that you should be completing it now.

Realistically you've not given enough information in your original post for anyone to advice you on - either of you could be being unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Did the doc give you a time frame?

I think it's reasonable for an employer to want a rough time frame (I appreciate stress is a difficult thing to gauge) in order to arrange cover or not. If you've told her 14 days and she's contacting you inside of 5 then that's unreasonable.

Same deal with the enquiring about completed tasks. It's reasonable to ask, assuming it's not judgemental or implying that you should be completing it now.

Realistically you've not given enough information in your original post for anyone to advice you on - either of you could be being unreasonable.
    Hey,

Thanks for your response and apologise for the lack of info..

I have 2 weeks off but my boss calls me everyday! They even want me to go in to get a works laptop so I can work from home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    Hey,

I have 2 weeks off but my boss calls me everyday! They even want me to go in to get a works laptop so I can work from home!
    Hi

I was signed off for two weeks on stress. You should tell your employer that they are not allowed to contact you to discuss work. They can arrange at meeting near the end of the two weeks to discuss your return but that is it. Asking you to work from home is illegal. You are signed off sick for a reason, to rest and recuperate. Her nagging you all the time is not going to aid your recovery.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I don't know where you work or how well supported your workplace is, however for your manager to be contacting you every day when signed off for two weeks especially with stress, can be considered harassment. It would be an idea to start off by having a conversation with her the next time she calls you, saying that you are signed off for two weeks from work by a medical professional, and arrange a date when you will contact her before the end of your signed off period to discuss your return to work (or to inform her of an extension of your sickness).

She can't make you work while you're signed off, even from home, if she tries to force you then she could be in a whole world of hurt.

Might be an idea to contact ACAS or your union if you're in one.

ReputationRep:
    If you're signed off sick, you are in receipt of Statutory Sick Pay. This means that it is against employment law to make you work whilst you're signed off.

If you work for a large company, contact HR, explain the situation and ask them to remind your boss about the company's legal responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    Hey,

That is absolutely inaproppriate. Escalate to higher management.

They are being a bit of a berk because all it will mean is a longer stay from work if they continue to hassle you and not allow you to recover.

ReputationRep:
    Don't rely on phone calls, use email or letters and make copies of all interactions, as well as keeping a diary. Go back through your call log/texts and back date a diary before the messages and dates get forgotten.

It is better to be prepared than have to panic to find info

ReputationRep:
    That's harassment and your work should not be doing that. I'd suggest calling your union if you're part of one, or a whistle-blowing service?

By calling you, she's not giving you time to recover, meaning you're going to return in a worse state and eventually take more time off. In short. F**K your boss, your health is so much more important than your job. You're entitled to statutory sick pay after so many days too, so make sure you get it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.