Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I was discussing my PS with him and he asked me what I wanted to do in life. I told him that I want to design spacecraft. He laughed at me, I was really offended and hurt. I kept thinking, 'Does he think I will fail?' My AS grades are pretty average/poor so maybe he's right I am already insecure about my academic ability, it's even worse when even one of my favourite teachers don't think I can get the dream job.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should never be put off doing what you want. However, saying that, I do think it helps to have realistic goals. I imagine a spacecraft designer has to be at the top of their field. If this isn't you, then maybe you should look into something else that would be more attainable. However, again, saying that, your teacher should never have laughed at you, that is in no way encouraging. Good luck with whatever it is you do decide on though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was discussing my PS with him and he asked me what I wanted to do in life. I told him that I want to design spacecraft. He laughed at me, I was really offended and hurt. I kept thinking, 'Does he think I will fail?' My AS grades are pretty average/poor so maybe he's right I am already insecure about my academic ability, it's even worse when even one of my favourite teachers don't think I can get the dream job.
    well he is a teacher in a sixth form/college, so he doesnt really have any right to laugh at someones dreams and aspirations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txmidayoxo)
    well he is a teacher in a sixth form/college, so he doesnt really have any right to laugh at someones dreams and aspirations.
    Shots fired

ReputationRep:
    You can design toy spacecraft for Buzz Lightyear.

The comment above throwing shade is right lmao, I have had teachers clearly hating their jobs who tried to take it out on me or other ambitious students. Raise your grades OP and go for it :yep: study STEM preferably physics or engineering at uni and research it

Hey, I know how you must be feeling but keep in mind That some people have strange senses of 'humour'. Don't take it to heart- your teacher was either trying to be funny, trying to look cool, insecure about themself or just a ********. But go for your dreams- you can do actually do whatever you want to if you put the effort into it! X😊

Thank you guys

(Original post by Nightwing_)
    I think you should never be put off doing what you want. However, saying that, I do think it helps to have realistic goals. I imagine a spacecraft designer has to be at the top of their field. If this isn't you, then maybe you should look into something else that would be more attainable. However, again, saying that, your teacher should never have laughed at you, that is in no way encouraging. Good luck with whatever it is you do decide on though.
    I can't think of anything I would like to do other than contribute in the space industry

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys

I can't think of anything I would like to do other than contribute in the space industry
    Do you do Physics at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    If your grades are poor and it's truly your dream job work hard to raise them.

ReputationRep:
    He did some A levels, didn't know what to do. He did a degree, because the alternative was a job. He still had no clue, so did the PGCE. And now he's a teacher, destroying the wishes and dreams of people with a clue and a desire to achieve something with their life.

There are Open University degree students designing space craft.

The 'teacher' you refer to is a loser. Ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    He must've thought you're on about those alien spaceships which don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a passion and are willing to work hard for it, then I say go for your dreams. If others can do it you can do it. Your teacher is only doing it because they are one of many insecure people who feel threatened when faced with people who desire to go further than them. It's all your life and your choice, if you dream and work hard, then you will go far. That's one thing I've always heard and even though I'm only 15, I realise the importance of not giving up on a dream. So if your teacher laughs at you then you laugh at your teacher when you get the grades you've always wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I think he probably laughed because he simply wasn't expecting anyone to come up with that.
    He was no doubt mentally prepared for his pupils to say they want to be a singer or an actor or a famous entrepreneur or a footballer.edit or whatever the equivalent is among 6th form students

And then you come up with spacecraft designer.

My sympathies to you both.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told me I should'nt bother applying at this uni as I won't even get an offer. I was also told I was going to get a U in his subject. I proved him wrong by working my arse off. You should too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    He did some A levels, didn't know what to do. He did a degree, because the alternative was a job. He still had no clue, so did the PGCE. And now he's a teacher, destroying the wishes and dreams of people with a clue and a desire to achieve something with their life.

There are Open University degree students designing space craft.

The 'teacher' you refer to is a loser. Ignore him.

Gosh that's interesting.

However when you say designing space craft are you sure you don't mean attempting to design space craft?

Just how easy is it to design a space craft!?

Do the astronauts know their spacecraft has been designed by OU students!?

Edit.....hmmm come to think of it maybe it's not that hard.After all you can always base it on previously successful designs.

In which case maybe there are 1000s of people wanting to design spacecraft but not enough demand for spacecraft.

Yep,that'll be it.

ReputationRep:
    I know how it feels to have your tutor laugh at you, man it knocked my confidence down but I worked harder and proved her wrong. Don't be discouraged and do not let anyone take your dream away from you, work hard and you will surpass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    I was also told I was going to get a U in his subject.
    When I passed my Geography O Level, the useless toe-rag teacher I had collared me in the corridor and said "I heard about your result. The sun must shine out of your f***ing arse."

It certainly wasn't down to his teaching.

ReputationRep:
    Work hard achieve your goal and then laugh at that teacher.
    P.S Always make sure you have something to contact him/her.

ReputationRep:
    It's the perfect motivation, right up there with proving your parents wrong and making your ex regret leaving you. Find out what you need to do to get there, and use this as motivation to do it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.