Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to think about my future and looking at what different Universities offer. SOAS has probably interested me the most at this current time as it offers a wide selection of languages. I am looking at studying two courses (combination courses) including a language. I have seen that some languages require a year abroad, which isn't a problem at all, but I just wanted to know how this works if you are taking two courses? I have tried my best to delve through the website to try and find the answer to my question but was unsuccessful so hopefully someone could provide the answer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lumixx)
    I'm starting to think about my future and looking at what different Universities offer. SOAS has probably interested me the most at this current time as it offers a wide selection of languages. I am looking at studying two courses (combination courses) including a language. I have seen that some languages require a year abroad, which isn't a problem at all, but I just wanted to know how this works if you are taking two courses? I have tried my best to delve through the website to try and find the answer to my question but was unsuccessful so hopefully someone could provide the answer
    lumixx

It's never too early to start thinking about your future! Well done and we're so happy you're interested in SOAS.

Don't quote me if I'm wrong but Two courses and a language (essentially 3 degrees) is impossible to do at any university.

Being the world's leading institute in the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, we offer over 40 languages you can study which a lot of other universities are trying to duplicate. Our expertise is unrivaled and our demand is higher than ever which is why have established a language centre. This language centre is designed for awesome students like you. Students who want to learn and improve each and every single day that they are with us. You can take the two courses (for example - BA International Relations and Politics) and then take an evening language class with the language centre for a reduced price. This is how to get the best of all 3 worlds!

Now, if you don't fancy doing a language with our language centre and rather study it as part of the degree, that would be just a normal joint honours (combined) degree programme we offer. The difference between the Language centre and doing a degree on a language is that the degree focuses on the culture and traditions as well as the language of that region which will allow you to go and assimilate right away in your year abroad there.

The language centre just merely teaches you to be fluent.

Does that help? Does that makes sense?

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAS Student Helper)
    lumixx

It's never too early to start thinking about your future! Well done and we're so happy you're interested in SOAS.

Don't quote me if I'm wrong but Two courses and a language (essentially 3 degrees) is impossible to do at any university.

Being the world's leading institute in the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, we offer over 40 languages you can study which a lot of other universities are trying to duplicate. Our expertise is unrivaled and our demand is higher than ever which is why have established a language centre. This language centre is designed for awesome students like you. Students who want to learn and improve each and every single day that they are with us. You can take the two courses (for example - BA International Relations and Politics) and then take an evening language class with the language centre for a reduced price. This is how to get the best of all 3 worlds!

Now, if you don't fancy doing a language with our language centre and rather study it as part of the degree, that would be just a normal joint honours (combined) degree programme we offer. The difference between the Language centre and doing a degree on a language is that the degree focuses on the culture and traditions as well as the language of that region which will allow you to go and assimilate right away in your year abroad there.

The language centre just merely teaches you to be fluent.

Does that help? Does that makes sense?

~Mike
    I'm really sorry, I don't think I made any sense. But I want to take a joint honours (a language and another subject). So if I for example took BA International Relations and a language, with the year abroad will I still study International Relations abroad? Or does it solely focus on the language?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'm really sorry, I don't think I made any sense. But I want to take a joint honours (a language and another subject). So if I for example took BA International Relations and a language, with the year abroad will I still study International Relations abroad? Or does it solely focus on the language?
    lumixx

Sorry for the confusion.

If you took IR and a language, on your year abroad you would focus solely on the language. There might be opportunities to take a class on IR but it depends on a lot of different criteria including your beginning proficiency. But most if not all of students focus directly on the language. It's language intensive!! With the aim of you coming back fluent which helps propels your career as oppose to being just advance or intermediate. When you come back after your year abroad, you will pick up exactly where you left off and will be continue to take both classes again for the remainder year or two years (depending on which language you choose to study).

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAS Student Helper)
    lumixx

Sorry for the confusion.

If you took IR and a language, on your year abroad you would focus solely on the language. There might be opportunities to take a class on IR but it depends on a lot of different criteria including your beginning proficiency. But most if not all of students focus directly on the language. It's language intensive!! With the aim of you coming back fluent which helps propels your career as oppose to being just advance or intermediate. When you come back after your year abroad, you will pick up exactly where you left off and will be continue to take both classes again for the remainder year or two years (depending on which language you choose to study).

~Mike
    Thank you for the information. It was really helpful!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you for the information. It was really helpful!
    Anytime! Make sure you come and visit us! We have tours every Wednesday and Friday at 2pm. We'd be more than happy to show you around and answer your questions! Tours generally last 45 minutes to an hour

~Mike

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.