Turn on thread page Beta

work experience for medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, I just finish my as level and want to do medicine in university, I`m trying to get some work experience in hospital or surgery ,but i phoned several places they all said that they don`t have voluntary job (or something like that). :confused: (am i too bold? )
    any idea how can i get a voluntary job in hospital or other place like hospice?
    i also wonder is that too late for looking for work experience now ??

THANKS for any help!!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It doesn't have to be a hospital - you could volunteer in a care home or a day centre

ReputationRep:
    yes, but the thing is i don`t know where should i go to and ask ( i know it`s stupid,~~)

THANKS for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    write to volunteer services at your local NHS trust. Call your local hospital to get the name and address.

As for hospices - phone them up and ask to speak to the volunteer co-ordinator.

But as PQ says - any experience that invovles dealing with people is all good. Also look into the Millenium Volunteers - they often have med related projects.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=46105 has some good advice on it. Hope that helps
    Aylia x

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much

but ~~ do i have to write something like cv?or just briefly say that i`m looking for voluntary job??

THANKS for any help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcy)
    thank you so much

but ~~ do i have to write something like cv?or just briefly say that i`m looking for voluntary job??

THANKS for any help!!!
    Make any contact as professional as possible. Either a detailed cover letter or a CV can only help.

Make the most of the caring sharing things you've done in the past and include a 'Future Directions' bit, pointing out you are aiming for medical school.

Good luck!

Fx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sooo much!!!!!!!!

I just went a bit disappointed when i phone them, and i get a bit worrying now~~~ i got no work experience at all,!~~ ... seems all i can say is that i got an ambition to be a doctor ! :rolleyes: Does reference from tutor help?

THANKS for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcy)
    Thank you sooo much!!!!!!!!

I just went a bit disappointed when i phone them, and i get a bit worrying now~~~ i got no work experience at all,!~~ ... seems all i can say is that i got an ambition to be a doctor ! :rolleyes: Does reference from tutor help?

THANKS for any help
    any thing you can provide to make you look better than the myriad of other w/e applicants they have will help.

Have you checked out the MV website? Med schools seem to love it.

Fx

ReputationRep:
    do you mean there is some sort of competition ??? :confused:

no , MV whats that ?? ( am i that thick?~~)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcy)
    do you mean there is some sort of competition ??? :confused:

no , MV whats that ?? ( am i that thick?~~)
    There's usually a fair bit of competition for W/E - it depends where you live really.

MV = Millenium Volunteers.

ReputationRep:
    Heya JCY,

Ok before you panic, I just think you should calm down. Its difficult to get placements and such at hospitals. But it can be done and I know.

If the hospitals don't come through for you, then fine. Move on to other health care organizations such as private clinics, nursing homes (there is a huge lack of staff so I would be surprised if they did not take you on pronto), other care facilities and join as a volunteer.

Even if you are waiting for them to get back to you put it down on your form that you have applied. Its never a miss. At least you are trying. And let us not beat around the bush, medical experience is needed but its hardly realistic to expect to get in in the OT and observe. I don't think it's likely but never the less possible if you keep trying.

So I would just get the yellow pages for your area and have a browse through and start calling around or just show up. That is what I did.

Take care and I do hope it works out for you. If not then post again and be sure to look through the links people provided. Its helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I've done my MV over the space of a year. e.g a few hours every holiday. It doesn't take any effort at all, but looks so good. Although even better is volunteering in a place like a nursing home once a week, which is what i did.

The work experience i did last year was:
    Work in nursing home for 1 week
    Work with GP for one week
    Work on wards in a hospital with a surgeon who operated on me before (its good to get connections already).
    Pledge to an ongoing commitment (Nursing home once a week) - to show that i helped all the time, not just when i felt like it.
    Medsim & Medlink Conferences - Shows you have already been situated in an unfamiliar situation (Sheffield/Nottingham Unis), and that you can adapt to them.

If you do all of this, you will look miles better than other aplicants, which is important.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You Sooooooo Much For All Of You !!!!!!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.