Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can you still gain muscle eating junk food? watch

ReputationRep:
    i don't know if this is a stupid question or not but i'm looking for some advice.

i'm 20, female, and thin/average in build. i go to the gym every other day with the intention of gaining muscle. however, i'm at uni, living away from home and struggling to eat many calories and i can't afford to buy tonnes of 'healthy food'

if i just stuck to healthy food on your average day i would only eat about 600 calories max. i did this for 2 straight weeks and noticed i was losing muscle and strength pretty fast.

to combat this is it wise to run to the shop and grab a bag of chocolates to get the calories? am i better off eating pizza for dinner which is high in calories rather than a meal of lean chicken and veg??

for the past few days i've started buying more junk food but i feel guilty and worried it'll cause me to gain fat rather than build muscle? can anyone shed some light if this is a bad idea. or is, for example, 2000 calories in junk food just as beneficial for muscle growth as 2000 calories of lean meats and other healthy stuff?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The fast food calories and the healthy food calories come from different proportions of fats/carbs/protein in the meals. Basically most of the calories in fast food will be fats and carbs whereas in the healthier meals there will be more calories from protein, even though the total calories for both is the same. If you want to build muscle you definitely want to pick the option with higher protein...

Generally 1g of protein is 4 cals, 1g carbs is 4 cals and 1g fat is 9 cals (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I've found that eating enough calories with just "healthy foods" (generally just chicken and vegetables) is actually quite difficult because the fat is so low, and as I've stated above that is where much of the calories are. I've added peanuts into my diet - although they're 50g of fat per 100g, they also contain a lot of protein (30g per 100g) and very low carbs. This is an easy way to add calories because of the fat content - but remember if you're just eating lean meats and vegetables you're not getting whole lot of fats anyway. And you get the protein too.

Basically you could have fast food on occasions when you really need to add calories but it's not a viable option to get all of your calories from. Everything requires balance

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert, so apologies if I'm wrong but I've read that to gain muscle, you need to lift weights, have more calories than your TDEE and consume enough protein which I've been told is your weight in pounds in grams (so someone at 150 pounds would need 150 grams of protein).

In terms of my own experience where I was losing weight, I noticed that calories were pretty much the deciding factor, as I ate more junk food during my low calorie diets than before but still lost lots of fat, and so I assume that this would be the same for building muscle except you need to have lots more protein. It would probably be best for you to buy some protein powder, so you could have a high source of protein and so would be able to have Pizza for dinner rather than lean meats as you've already got your protein. Also as you said, it would be practically impossible to eat only healthy foods, as they would not fill the calorie requirements as well as being expensive so I think that eating junk food is almost a necessity.

In terms of you gaining fat, it is inevitable to gain fat when building muscle as the calorie increases will cause fat increase as well as muscle growth, although you can limit fat increase by "Clean" bulking where you only go a few hundred calories over your TDEE, whereas "Dirty" bulking is where you increase calories by several hundred or more calories which will enable faster muscle growth but higher fat increases.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    thanks both, think I get the idea now

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but i wouldn't advise it, a dirty bulk is hardly healthy, a clean bulk, high in protein is the best way IMO.

its not like your looking to gain stones of muscle either i assume.

A clean bulk = lots of eating.

I suppose it depends how you define a dirty bulk also, if your talking greggs for breakfast, macdonalds for lunch and greasy pizza with extra cheese for tea then thats not good for anything lol

I eat along the lines of scrambled eggs with grilled bacon for breakfast, some sort of snack/shake mid morning, hot chicken salad for lunch, snack/shake mid afternoon and something basic like roast chicken and roast chilli spuds for tea......this isn't exact but its my idea of a dirty bulk. TBH i eat like this most of the time just reduce portion sizes as needed.

Eating clean is porridge oats and water for breakfast, cold broccoli, rice and chicken for dinner etc etc....maybe extreme there but i believe this will only benefit people in top condition where it wouldn't matter about loosing marginal mass for comp prep etc.

All in my humble opinion of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denzel89)
    Yes but i wouldn't advise it, a dirty bulk is hardly healthy, a clean bulk, high in protein is the best way IMO.

its not like your looking to gain stones of muscle either i assume.

A clean bulk = lots of eating.

I suppose it depends how you define a dirty bulk also, if your talking greggs for breakfast, macdonalds for lunch and greasy pizza with extra cheese for tea then thats not good for anything lol

I eat along the lines of scrambled eggs with grilled bacon for breakfast, some sort of snack/shake mid morning, hot chicken salad for lunch, snack/shake mid afternoon and something basic like roast chicken and roast chilli spuds for tea......this isn't exact but its my idea of a dirty bulk. TBH i eat like this most of the time just reduce portion sizes as needed.

Eating clean is porridge oats and water for breakfast, cold broccoli, rice and chicken for dinner etc etc....maybe extreme there but i believe this will only benefit people in top condition where it wouldn't matter about loosing marginal mass for comp prep etc.

All in my humble opinion of course.
    or you could just run 5 milers every week and binge on chocolate everyday like me

my cardio has never been better and i can outlast most except those that train seriously for running

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as long as you're in a caloric surplus and getting enough protein, doesn't mean it's healthy though because you'll be lacking in micronutrients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    Yes, as long as you're in a caloric surplus and getting enough protein, doesn't mean it's healthy though because you'll be lacking in micronutrients.
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Certainly works for me As long as you're getting the required calories, carb/fat balance is good and your protein intake is adequate and comes from quality sources with good amino acid profiles (meat, fish, dairy products - that last one includes whey protein) then you'll do fine.

With the above in mind though, for the sake of my health I don't just stuff my face with junk, tbh I find it easy to get my required caloric intake so I actively avoid overly calorific foods for most meals. You can easily increase your caloric intake healthily by introducing a lot of liquid calories in the form of shakes - whey protein, powdered oats, milk, olive or walnut oil (walnut oil tastes a LOT nicer with shakes and has a tonne of health benefits) can all help, quite easy to knock up a 1500 calorie shake with a good protein/carb/fat balance using those ingredients alone.

aliendays

ReputationRep:
    You wont gain muscle but youll gain a lot of fat, i know im 21 male fairly skinny, trying to gain weight but eating junk will just make you fat, rather eat foods with high calories but less fat more protein, like eggs, milk, red meat and workout at the same time, youll see good gains. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

Sugary stuff is a bit useless though. Just get enough protein and then its more about enough kcal. But its better to just eat healthy most of the time than go to the McD / Kfc / Burger King every day. Learn to make some rice recipes, buy some vegetable packs (they have those at the store) and mix it with chicken, ground beef etc. Delicious meal, very cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    You wont gain muscle but youll gain a lot of fat, i know im 21 male fairly skinny, trying to gain weight but eating junk will just make you fat, rather eat foods with high calories but less fat more protein, like eggs, milk, red meat and workout at the same time, youll see good gains. Good luck x
    Add Greek yoghurt to the list.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 24, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.