Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi im applying for colleges now and am unsure of what to take. im thinking about chemistry biology maths and history but i dont know if these are good subjects to take together and if they limit me from doing anything in the future? i dont know what i want to do in uni or for a job so dont want to narrow my options down. im definitely going to take history but want to know the pros and cons of the other subject. i also dont know if they are going to be too hard, im currently at an a in maths, a in chemistry and b in biology.

ReputationRep:
    Those subjects open up a lot for you,
    They won't limit your options
    If you want to take engineering take physics at A level!
    Good luck
    If you need any advice- I'm a current A2 student studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology
    (I also did sociology as an AS)
    And have a lot of friends doing physics/maths
    So ask away

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As far as your concern for narrowing your options goes, those subjects open up a wide range of possible future careers, especially chemistry and maths.
    In my opinion, the five best subjects to study are chemistry, maths, physics, biology and history. This is because there are so many different paths you can take with high-level qualifications in the subjects mentioned, and you've got four of them!
    Pros and cons of each subject:
    Chemistry gives you a lot of options in the future ranging from pharmacy and healthcare related jobs to things like forensic scientists. However, depending on the course you take, it can get difficult as certain parts of it involve maths (which shouldn't be a problem if you got an A) and there is a lot to remember.
    I believe biology can be a very fun subject in some areas and doesn't contain much maths. It can also open up careers in the medical industry and is a great pair with chemistry. As long as you have a good memory, it isn't too difficult but you may not find it very interesting at some times.
    Maths is also a great pair with biology and chemistry and it will almost certainly help you in chemistry where carrying out multi-step calculations are commonplace. Depending on how you look at it, it can be good because you don't need to remember pages of information but sometimes it can be hard to apply certain skills if it is not obvious from the start.

Overall, I think you would do well to choose these four subjects as they compliment each other very well, opening up many doors and opportunities. As long as you are dedicated and enjoy the subjects you choose, you will do well. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

Best of luck for the future,
    Joe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.