Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are Teenagers getting smaller? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, one of my class mates brought this up today when we were in lesson and he said that "Our Year 11 year group is really small in height" so I thought about this statement closely and to be honest I kind of agree with this i'm 15 and i'm about 5"4 and 5"6/5"7 is probably the average height in my year group and I know a few people in my year group that probably about 5"2. When I think back to 4 years ago when I was in Year 7 the Year 11 back then were just so big and tall probably the average was like 5"9. But now it seems like everyone is just average height and to be honest I can't tell the difference between a Year 11 student and a Year 9 student probably the own difference is that the Year 11 student has facial hair but they'll both roughly be the same height. So, what's going on...?
    Why are people growing so slowly?

ReputationRep:
    Lack of added growth hormones in the meat you're eating.

In the 1970s and 80s my generation overshot our parents by a lo t. Not because food was better post-rationing, although that had had an impact on those born in the 1950s, but because of the growth hormones in the meat. The Americans were doing this and to a greater extent than us before we did, which is why they were ahead of us in developing height, massive hips and big jaws.

Now that people are getting wiser about their meat choices, eating less meat and less hormones are being given to cattle, you're not getting the growth hormones we got. I don't think you stand a chance of growing as tall as those born in the 1980s and 1990s.

Now all I need for that theory, is empirical data.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Lack of added growth hormones in the meat you're eating.

In the 1970s and 80s my generation overshot our parents by a lo t. Not because food was better post-rationing, although that had had an impact on those born in the 1950s, but because of the growth hormones in the meat. The Americans were doing this and to a greater extent than us before we did, which is why they were ahead of us in developing height, massive hips and big jaws.

Now that people are getting wiser about their meat choices, eating less meat and less hormones are being given to cattle, you're not getting the growth hormones we got. I don't think you stand a chance of growing as tall as those born in the 1980s and 1990s.

Now all I need for that theory, is empirical data.
    Erm I ate meat in the 90's and I'm short...
    I see what you're saying but there's not too much evidence for it. All the teenagers on my street are tall. Ones a fully organic fed breed of doctors child so...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    In my school I found that the pupils were getting taller and taller.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say we're getting taller tbh.

We see this when they come as midgets in yr7 but they seem to have their growth spurt later on like yr9/10 so whilst they seem short, they are getting taller. Jusy a little later than previous generations might have.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same, looking back on year 7s now they look so small, I always think "I wasn't that small" but it's probably an illusion, because average hieght is increasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    So, one of my class mates brought this up today when we were in lesson and he said that "Our Year 11 year group is really small in height" so I thought about this statement closely and to be honest I kind of agree with this i'm 15 and i'm about 5"4 and 5"6/5"7 is probably the average height in my year group and I know a few people in my year group that probably about 5"2. When I think back to 4 years ago when I was in Year 7 the Year 11 back then were just so big and tall probably the average was like 5"9. But now it seems like everyone is just average height and to be honest I can't tell the difference between a Year 11 student and a Year 9 student probably the own difference is that the Year 11 student has facial hair but they'll both roughly be the same height. So, what's going on...?
    Why are people growing so slowly?
    Its definitely just random chance.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like it's the opposite

I'm year 13 and the year 11s are usually taller than me and I'm 5ft 9, which is apparently average height

ReputationRep:
    The average height is going down because each younger year ate less turkey twizzlers than the last.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.