Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrawing University on medical grounds watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am thinking of dropping out of university due to medical problems. I am in my second year but have not actually attended a session in university yet, therefore I doubt I will be able to catch up with missed work by the time I get better. I was awarded a maintenance loan and grant this semester which a large portion of I have already used on accommodation. If I regrettably have to drop out what will happen with regards to paying back the loan and grant?

Many thanks
    Jdgilbo
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

If you withdraw or suspend from the course we will calculate how much funding you were entitled to for the time that the University confirm you were officially in attendance, and anything you have been paid in excess of that amount you will be asked to repay immediately. This will be dealt with through our collections team, and usually they are able to set up a repayment plan for an amount you can afford rather then insisting you pay it all back at once.

Any funding you were entitled to for the time you did attend will go into repayment as normal, so any grant will be non-repayable and any maintenance loan will go into repayment as usual when you finish Uni and start work.

If you are suspending due to health reasons, your Uni can advise us of this and we will extend your funding for an extra 60 days, so this should reduce the amount of the overpayment.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am thinking of trying to persevere with uni, I am still not well and not feeling good but I do not want to quit. What happens if I make it to the christmas term and I am unable to continue? Do I still have to pay when I was absent from uni? Or because I completed the semester do I have to pay the money back when I earn over £21,000.

Many Thanks,
    Jack Gilbert
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

It will just work the same as described above. They'll work out what you are entitled to based on the time you attend and anything you'be been overpaid will be requested to be paid back immediately. If you withdraw at the end of the term, it's likely the overpayment will be smaller but you may still have a slight overpayment.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.