The Student Room Group

Too late to study pharmacy?

I have recently looked at pharmacy as a degree/career and I like it, but I think it might be out of reach. I am in year 13 and on course for AAB, but this is in biology maths and english. Obviously A level chemistry is required for pharmacy, is there any way i can get this? I think I can only do one extra year of sixth form and I'd have to be doing at least 3 subjects anyway. So I think i'm out but thought i'd ask anway incase anyone knows otherwise

Thanks
Reply 1
You could try homeopathy
Keele will accept either Biology or Chemistry. You can also look into foundation years at other universities but I'm not sure how eligible for them you'd be as you have strong A levels in Biology and Maths.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/pharmacy/#tabs-8
Reply 3
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Keele will accept either Biology or Chemistry. You can also look into foundation years at other universities but I'm not sure how eligible for them you'd be as you have strong A levels in Biology and Maths.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/ugcourses/pharmacy/#tabs-8
Thanks for your reply. If I was to apply for pharmacy, I would need a personal statement tailored to it wouldn't I? And then only 1 of my 5 applications on UCAS would be used, and if I got rejected by Keele I'd be a bit stuffed... If you think of a solution to this please say. Yes with two science A levels I am disqualified from foundation year entry. I also noticed they offer grad-entry, do you think it would be silly to pre plan that by doing a related under grad and then applying after that?
Original post by jshark97
Thanks for your reply. If I was to apply for pharmacy, I would need a personal statement tailored to it wouldn't I? And then only 1 of my 5 applications on UCAS would be used, and if I got rejected by Keele I'd be a bit stuffed... If you think of a solution to this please say. Yes with two science A levels I am disqualified from foundation year entry. I also noticed they offer grad-entry, do you think it would be silly to pre plan that by doing a related under grad and then applying after that?

If you find a course in the same field that you're interested in (e.g. biochemistry, chemistry, pharmacology for example) then I don't think your personal statement has to be fully relevant to just Pharmacy as long as you just mention anything to do with healthcare and work experience of working with people (literally anything). Some unis also allow you to transfer to Pharmacy from Pharmacology but I can't think off the top of my head what they are.
If you feel you need to go down the graduate entry route to get in then I'd really strongly suggest just doing another year of your A levels. Graduate entry is an expensive, difficult and long route to take- especially if you're not doing this course as your top choice.
Reply 5
You can undertake foundation year degrees in Pharmacy with Kingston University and Reading. Alternatively, look for a foundation year in Science from these and other universities.
Reply 6
Honestly, instead of messing about with foundation years/post grad, I'd just resit the year of college. One of the girls in my house did like Art, design tech and photography or something. Then resat the whole of college to do science stuff! Yeah she's now a "mature student" but I didn't even know until she told me!
Reply 7
Original post by Liz94
Honestly, instead of messing about with foundation years/post grad, I'd just resit the year of college. One of the girls in my house did like Art, design tech and photography or something. Then resat the whole of college to do science stuff! Yeah she's now a "mature student" but I didn't even know until she told me!

Although I would prefer to just do A level chemistry and then apply, there are a couple of issues. My sixth form does not offer a fast-track one year chemistry a level, and I'm not sure if any other education establishments in my area do. And if I could find one, I don't know if it would be free and if my parent would still get maintenance money for me (I would be 19 while studying the a level). I don't have lots of money so I can't just rent somewhere for 12 months and pay £200-300 or whatever it is to take the course (if this is the case). If you know of a solution to this please say :smile:
don't bother... pharmacies going down the train with uncapped student offers and places and no pre reg places...
Reply 9
Original post by jshark97
Although I would prefer to just do A level chemistry and then apply, there are a couple of issues. My sixth form does not offer a fast-track one year chemistry a level, and I'm not sure if any other education establishments in my area do. And if I could find one, I don't know if it would be free and if my parent would still get maintenance money for me (I would be 19 while studying the a level). I don't have lots of money so I can't just rent somewhere for 12 months and pay £200-300 or whatever it is to take the course (if this is the case). If you know of a solution to this please say :smile:

Could you still live with your parents whilst studying? I know when I was at college if you were 19 and studying your parents would still get something!
Reply 10
Original post by saladisgreat
don't bother... pharmacies going down the train with uncapped student offers and places and no pre reg places...

This is a problem at the moment, however I applied to 4 pre-regs in community and was offered all 4! There's absolutely tonnes of places, it's a job afterwards that's becoming a problem. However you'd be in the same position after a biology/chemistry/biomed degree. There's very few graduate jobs, so may as well do one that's got a clear defined career at the end of it :smile:
Original post by S23a
You can undertake foundation year degrees in Pharmacy with Kingston University and Reading. Alternatively, look for a foundation year in Science from these and other universities.

I don't think reading is doing a foundation course in pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending