Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know I have plenty of time to decide but I've no idea which university I should put as my firm choice. I have offers from Manchester and Nottingham, and I like them equally as much. There is pretty much nothing bad about either university (apart from my family/friends suggesting crime in Nottingham).

I like Manchester because I feel like I'd get a better education there, it's much more prestigious and seems to have a better social scene, which would work for me. I could see myself studying there too, and feel it would be the better option if I got in. Offer AAA.

However, I like Nottingham because I'm more likely to get in, they offer AAA/A*AB, and I'm confident I would be able to get in there. The campus is much better and more open, the people there seemed much friendlier and there were less people too. It also has a module in game theory, which is something I'd like to study, Manchester doesn't have this.

My predicted grades are A*AA, but I'm worried about the second A, I don't think I'll be able to attain it. My heart says Manchester, my head says Nottingham. I don't fancy having Manchester as firm and Nottingham as insurance, considering how close they are grade-wise. Insurance is more than likely going to be QUB.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    I've also applied to both of these universities and got both offers, personally I prefer Nottingham.
    Since I've applied for a different course, I might not be much help. My reasons for preferring Nottingham are simply because I liked the course better (as well as the lecturers), because at the end of the day you're there to get a degree and you need to pick exactly what suits your interests best.

If you're worried about the grades, just consider the fact that even if you don't get that A, the university could be lenient. When I was talking to students at Manchester, someone told me that their friend got in to a course that asked for ABB with BBC because the course still had spaces.

You also shouldn't worry about how prestigious Manchester is in comparison to Nottingham. I've just seen a post here on TSR where someone said that employers don't actually care that much about what university people go to, it just seems like it because of how people on here act. Both universities are Russell Group and therefore prestigious, it's not like one of them wants AAA and the other wants 280 points.

From what you've mentioned it seems to me that you like more factors at Nottingham, and just the overall feel of Manchester. If you prefer the course at Nottingham, I'd say go there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.