Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've just submitted my ucas application at the start of this week and I've got a reply from two universities which I was considering the most.
    From Warwick I've got the standard offer for 3A*s or a mixture with STEP and for Bristol I could practically leave school and still get in, it is that low...

So I'm having a dilemma, on one side if I got into Warwick (which wouldn't be easy) I fear that it'll be a very intellectually challenging 4 years, I wont be the top of the class anymore and all I'll ever learn is maths...
    Whereas if I took Bristol it's still a decent university and I believe that it has more to offer outside of maths. I feel as if I'd be able to grow as an individual much more, becoming more independent and entering the real world in a larger city like Bristol compared to little campus university Warwick.

If anybody has studied at either one of these and would like to give me a gist of the work load, the life style, future career opportunities and everything else I'd be very pleased to hear you out.

P.S. I'm also waiting for a reply from UCL, Exeter and Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    Hey guys,

I've just submitted my ucas application at the start of this week and I've got a reply from two universities which I was considering the most.
    From Warwick I've got the standard offer for 3A*s or a mixture with STEP and for Bristol I could practically leave school and still get in, it is that low...

So I'm having a dilemma, on one side if I got into Warwick (which wouldn't be easy) I fear that it'll be a very intellectually challenging 4 years, I wont be the top of the class anymore and all I'll ever learn is maths...
    Whereas if I took Bristol it's still a decent university and I believe that it has more to offer outside of maths. I feel as if I'd be able to grow as an individual much more, becoming more independent and entering the real world in a larger city like Bristol compared to little campus university Warwick.

If anybody has studied at either one of these and would like to give me a gist of the work load, the life style, future career opportunities and everything else I'd be very pleased to hear you out.

Warwick has a stronger mathematics department but at an undergraduate level it makes very little difference.

Both universities (assuming a 4 year MSci course) will provide roughly the same level of mathematical rigour and such a first in either course will set you up perfectly for Phd's.

I wouldn't worry too much about Warwick;s course being too difficult when compared to Bristol's. Both courses will operate on roughly the same difficulty. Don't let entry requirements fool you into thinking one course will be much harder than the other, I imagine both UCL and Bath's mathematics courses will be just as hard as Warwicks. (I don't know enough about Exeter to comment).

With regards to the job market, unless your applying for investment banking (even then Bristol has a pretty good finance and banking society so is still a semi target university) career prospects are pretty much the same from both universities.

The most important thing you need with regards to career prospects is a 2:1 or higher and some kind of work experience (relevant work experience is preferred for more competitive jobs). This is where your extra curricular activities shine much more than your degree. In every interview I have been to, potential employers always seemed much more interested in my work experience / extra circulars than my 1st class degree in Physics... Both universities will set you up well with regards to career prospects. Your degree only gets you through to the interview stage, the rest is made up from your personality and experiences etc..

Don't be scared that the course at Warwick will be too difficult. If you can easily achieve the A*AA or AAA (w/e Bristol requirements are... they really should be higher though as first year catches people out) you will do fine . The entry requirements for Warwick are by in large inflated due to over subscription (rightly so the department is top notch) and as such as long as your put time and effort in to keeping up with the course material you will do fine.

Both universities will offer a plethora of extra curricular activities / societies for you to join and as such you will have ample time to develop personally at Warwick. So don't see Warwick as inferior choice with regards to personal development.

The real questions is, which environment do you prefer? If you prefer living in a small-ish city where everything is still walk-able then go Bristol. Bristol is quite a lively city, with a lot going on outside of the student bubble, so if that's something that you feel you would enjoy then go for Bristol.

If you prefer a smaller campus setting where you are confined to a student bubble then go Warwick. Warwick does have Coventry and Lemmington Spa nearby. but I'm not to sure if that's a positive . I would say it is much more important to choose a place you would be happy living for the next four years, than to worry about perceived prestige and difficulty of course (All the universities you have chosen will provide you with a stellar mathematics education).

I personally studied at Bristol and as such if you have any questions specific to the Bristol mathematics/city/university feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    Hey guys,

The best universities for maths in the UK are:
    1) Oxford
    2) Cambridge
    3) Warwick
    4) Imperial
    5) Bristol

See http://results.ref.ac.uk/Results/ByUoa/10, http://www.bristol.ac.uk/maths/research/http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~b...s_league/2009/

These unis form a clear cluster away from the others.

Warwick's campus is the dullest place on earth, theres nothing to do, nothing to see. Could you hack this for 3 to 4 years? Leamington Spa is like a town in the middle of the countryside. Is this for you?

The STEP test is a strange one. Those who do score highly have the capability to do well on a top maths course but even if you dont, you still can do well. I know of people who got two 3's in Step 1 and 2 but got 80%+ in their masters at Warwick. I have noted that Warwick now say that you can get into their course with A*A*AA or A*A*A* without STEP. This is like an admission that STEP testing is an imperfect system.

I was told on my open day that at Bristol that 90% of mathematics undergraduates had A*A* in maths and further maths at A-Level once they had got to the university. I admit I am unable to verify this.

The workload at all the top 5 maths departments is immense. Think 50 hours a week to get a 2.1, 60+ to get a first. This is realistic but the rewards are sizeable in terms of confidence, learning by yourself and challenging yourself to new levels.

Also note outside Oxbridge they let you take lots of open units if you do a BSc and not a MMath/MSci. So there is a clear difference between masters and batchelors students in standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FGT12)

I was told on my open day at Bristol that 90% of undergraduates had A*A* in maths and further maths at A-Level.
    By whom?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.