Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping someone on here might be able to help my boyfriend. Recently he has been talking about how much he'd like to get into teaching, however he has not got many qualifications post GCSE and he's not that interested in going back to study. I've suggested to him that he could look into becoming a teaching assistant instead, but neither of us know much about how to get into that.
    - Do they have a qualification need? As mentioned, he only has GCSEs (plus qualified as a football coach which maybe could open some childrens coaching for him?)
    - How much experience should he have? He isn't keen on the idea of doing work experience (he does want this genuinely, but money is a concern) but I imagine it'll be competitive enough that he'll need it. As far as I'm aware he has limited experience with kids
    - What sort of stuff would employers be looking for, outside aforementioned? Any other tips (or websites to direct me too).

Any advice would be welcomed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    I was hoping someone on here might be able to help my boyfriend. Recently he has been talking about how much he'd like to get into teaching, however he has not got many qualifications post GCSE and he's not that interested in going back to study. I've suggested to him that he could look into becoming a teaching assistant instead, but neither of us know much about how to get into that.
    - Do they have a qualification need? As mentioned, he only has GCSEs (plus qualified as a football coach which maybe could open some childrens coaching for him?)
    - How much experience should he have? He isn't keen on the idea of doing work experience (he does want this genuinely, but money is a concern) but I imagine it'll be competitive enough that he'll need it. As far as I'm aware he has limited experience with kids
    - What sort of stuff would employers be looking for, outside aforementioned? Any other tips (or websites to direct me too).

Any advice would be welcomed!
    I'm currently doing some voluntary TA work, in order to gain work experience for my PGCE application, however the Teaching Assistants in the school I have vary in experience and qualifications - One is NVQ qualified and the other one had never worked with kids before nor had any specific job related qualifications, with the exception of her GCSE's yet she got the job, so I think it largely depends on you as a person and how you come across.

Hope that helps

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.