Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just to give you a quick insight, school was never for me to put it straight I did appalling. Everyone was really snobby in school, and never made any friends. I then decided to give an apprenticeship a try after trying sixth form for a year, that ended up with the business doing me out of packet by over £1000, and were mistreating me and was forced to leave as they no longer paid me so couldn't get in!

I then hit rock bottom, felt like a complete failure in life. However my only hope at the back of my mind (well has been for years) was to start-up my own business full time. Its always been my dream, I have helped with my fathers business since I was small, its always been my passion. So I decided to risk it and just go for it, its going to be a big mountain to climb but has had a promising start! It's been very hard as the web design industry is competitive, but like I said its had a promising start.

My worry is, because I cant afford anything like a shared-office at the moment (and probably wont for a long time). How do I socialize, I have hardly no friends. I see everyone going to Uni having a great time, partying and socializing. I just feel like I'm missing something. I just don't know how to solve it. I am very committed to my business, however I'm young and want a social life! I know school or Uni was never for me and have came to realise that after being in denial, running a business is what I want to do. I want to be mixing with people my age, but how?

ReputationRep:
    ? Anyone

ReputationRep:
    what's your business
    if it buying meet with potential suppliers or customers if it is selling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    what's your business
    if it buying meet with potential suppliers or customers if it is selling
    Web Design

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben.anderson)
    Web Design
    find seminars or local business event you could make both friend and business contacts
    i did it i'll admit it easier to do for me as a premium purchaser

ReputationRep:
    Have you contacted the Princes Trust? They give support to young people starting a business and run short courses etc that would help you meet people with similar goals. The Round Table is worth looking at - they have lots of events and also run business clubs.

Best of luck with your business

ReputationRep:
    Maybe find someone who works in an area similar to yours

Perhaps a haddock dealer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marple)
    Have you contacted the Princes Trust? They give support to young people starting a business and run short courses etc that would help you meet people with similar goals. The Round Table is worth looking at - they have lots of events and also run business clubs.

Best of luck with your business
    Thats a great idea. I just need to pick myself up. Just feel so down in the dumps! Trying to stay positive, its just hard.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.