Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've just submitted my ucas application at the start of this week and I've got a reply from two universities which I was considering the most.
    From Warwick I've got the standard offer for 3A*s or a mixture with STEP and for Bristol I could practically leave school and still get in, it is that low...

So I'm having a dilemma, on one side if I got into Warwick (which wouldn't be easy) I fear that it'll be a very intellectually challenging 4 years, I wont be the top of the class anymore and all I'll ever learn is maths...
    Whereas if I took Bristol it's still a decent university and I believe that it has more to offer outside of maths. I feel as if I'd be able to grow as an individual much more, becoming more independent and entering the real world in a larger city like Bristol compared to little campus university Warwick.

If anybody has studied at either one of these and would like to give me a gist of the work load, the life style, future career opportunities and everything else I'd be very pleased to hear you out.

P.S. I'm also waiting for a reply from UCL, Exeter and Bath

ReputationRep:
    I'm not THAT good at maths either but I'm still firming Warwick. I'll probably just scrape a 2 in STEP.

And you won't be top of the class in Bristol either.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol has a great social life atmosphere. I guess it's what you want from it all, try and visit both unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    Bristol has a great social life atmosphere. I guess it's what you want from it all, try and visit both unis
    Oh yes, I'll certainly go and see both of them, if not all the ones I've applied to.

You study at Bristol?

(Original post by ubisoft)
    I'm not THAT good at maths either but I'm still firming Warwick. I'll probably just scrape a 2 in STEP.

And you won't be top of the class in Bristol either.
    I hope you make it in mate.
    Have u visited Warwick yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    Oh yes, I'll certainly go and see both of them, if not all the ones I've applied to.

You study at Bristol?

I hope you make it in mate.
    Have u visited Warwick yet?
    Yeah I went to the open day. The city was very quiet, but inside the campus it was live. The maths building was great, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Yeah I went to the open day. The city was very quiet, but inside the campus it was live. The maths building was great, too.
    Haha yeah I've heard people saying that the maths department is amazing but once you leave everything else is mediocre.
    Where else are u appying?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I've just submitted my ucas application at the start of this week and I've got a reply from two universities which I was considering the most.
    From Warwick I've got the standard offer for 3A*s or a mixture with STEP and for Bristol I could practically leave school and still get in, it is that low...

So I'm having a dilemma, on one side if I got into Warwick (which wouldn't be easy) I fear that it'll be a very intellectually challenging 4 years, I wont be the top of the class anymore and all I'll ever learn is maths...
    Whereas if I took Bristol it's still a decent university and I believe that it has more to offer outside of maths. I feel as if I'd be able to grow as an individual much more, becoming more independent and entering the real world in a larger city like Bristol compared to little campus university Warwick.

If anybody has studied at either one of these and would like to give me a gist of the work load, the life style, future career opportunities and everything else I'd be very pleased to hear you out.

Lol mate, think you are a little out of touch with reality.

Firstly, before uni i was always top of my class but when I got to uni I was getting average marks. Strong chance is if you go to a top uni you wont be top of the class, and being top of the class will take so much work its not even worth it tbh.

Also, i almost fell on the floor laughing at this spiel you completely invinted out of thin air about how studying at warwick willl make you a maths nerd, whereas studying at bristol will turn you into a better all-round person. Completely delusional.

You should go where you will get the best education, and there's no question that will be at warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm a first year student at Warwick and so far it's been very easy to maintain a decent work/life balance (I personally don't have much of a life lol, so more of a work/TSR and youtube balance, but there are many societies, sports facilities, places to go out etc.) Bristol has the city element but otherwise, I wouldn't say it has much more to offer (and basically everyone will say Warwick the far superior course). And you have to move out of the campus at Warwick anyway, so it's not like you won't have to be independent at any point. Obviously I don't know much first-hand about career opportunities at the moment but stats are good. The maths has been doable and mainly fun so far; I will admit that some of it - mainly freaking Analysis, when you're in the wrong mood - can be a little frustrating but that'll probably be true anywhere. What I did was firm Warwick and insure Bristol; very good pair as Bristol is still a really good uni for Maths but has super easy entrance requirements. I also had Bath and Exeter as choices strangely enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I'm a first year student at Warwick and so far it's been very easy to maintain a decent work/life balance (I personally don't have much of a life lol, so more of a work/TSR and youtube balance, but there are many societies, sports facilities, places to go out etc.) Bristol has the city element but otherwise, I wouldn't say it has much more to offer (and basically everyone will say Warwick the far superior course). And you have to move out of the campus at Warwick anyway, so it's not like you won't have to be independent at any point. Obviously I don't know much first-hand about career opportunities at the moment but stats are good. The maths has been doable and mainly fun so far; I will admit that some of it - mainly freaking Analysis, when you're in the wrong mood - can be a little frustrating but that'll probably be true anywhere. What I did was firm Warwick and insure Bristol; very good pair as Bristol is still a really good uni for Maths but has super easy entrance requirements. I also had Bath and Exeter as choices strangely enough.
    Thanks for your reply it has been very informative. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

How much more challenging are you finding maths at university compared to sixth form?
    What would you say has helped you prepare for university level mathematics? be it STEP or FP3 modules.
    What did you get in your A-levels if I can ask?
    What's the work load like in comparison to A-levels? I'm doing additional further maths too, so time-wise it works out to be around 15 hours of maths lessons I guess there wont be much more than that at uni, What's your weekly schedule like?
    Sorry for the load of questions, just really awesome to be able to speak to someone who is somewhere you'd like to be in a year ;D

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply it has been very informative. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

How much more challenging are you finding maths at university compared to sixth form?
    What would you say has helped you prepare for university level mathematics? be it STEP or FP3 modules.
    What did you get in your A-levels if I can ask?
    What's the work load like in comparison to A-levels? I'm doing additional further maths too, so time-wise it works out to be around 15 hours of maths lessons I guess there wont be much more than that at uni, What's your weekly schedule like?
    Sorry for the load of questions, just really awesome to be able to speak to someone who is somewhere you'd like to be in a year ;D
    Depends on the module. In general, so far not much harder at all, but it is definitely a very different way of thinking. The main difficulty is having to write in a much clearer and more rigorous way to ensure comprehension of the reader - learning to be more like a mathematician rather than someone who can solve maths problems I guess lol. In seven assignments I have overall lost one mark for working but around six for "clarity", and working is worth 80% of the marks.
    STEP has helped a little; it helps force you to think creatively while still using techniques very fluently and without error, which is often necessary, and just makes you think a little more deeply about things which helps with Analysis especially. FP2 has been useful with its second order differential equations and complex numbers as it means some of the material so far is just going over things I already know about. FP3 should be useful for next term I assume since from what I've read on the module info for Linear Algebra it looks like it covers all the weird matrix stuff I did in FP3.
    I got 4A*s with double maths physics and english lit for some reason (and a low 1 in STEP I; I regret not taking the other two which was mainly because I felt weirdly guilty in making my inept school organize more stuff when it wasn't necessary )
    Weekly right now I have 21 scheduled hours I think; four hours of classes, two hours of supervisions, one hour tutorial and the rest lectures (plus a fortnightly 40 minute test in Foundations). You have to do quite a lot of work on assignments outside of class if you want good marks, although they aren't worth too much.
    lol no worries; I'm neglecting work anyway (to be fair spent around 12-7 semi-working on one assignment set so maybe I'm entitled) so ought to do something worthwhile..

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to be at the top of your class. Ever. That's almost always a bad thing: it means you're not being pushed properly. If you aren't struggling with things, then you probably need to find something harder that you are struggling with. If you're struggling (at least somewhat struggling), it means that you're probably actually be learning something.

Anyway, on to preparations for preparing for stuff (and given that I'm employed by the university to teach and mark stuff for first years, I guess this is kinda vaguely from some kind of a position of knowing what I'm talking about), this course basically exists to teach all of the things that the maths department would prefer to be able to take as assumed knowledge from A-level, but they can't (you've probably done some of the stuff on that list, but not all of it). Reading up on that stuff wouldn't be a bad idea, from a knowledge perspective. On the other side of things, learning how to write maths (in a way that we can actually read and understand, so I can mark it quickly, preferably) would be really useful to learn. Read this. (With one minor amendment: being as you don't, at this point, actually know what the symbol \Rightarrow means, and the section of his book (which is a really nice book) that explains it properly isn't available online so far as I can tell, replace the advice about that symbol by "don't use it, use words instead".

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.