Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on my weight please watch

I've always been really skinny but its gotten to the point where I'm fed up of looking like a bag bones and its affecting both my physical and mental health. I spoke to my doctor and she confirmed I was underweight and I just needed to eat more (she implied she thought I had an eating disorder - which I do not!)
    I eat the same as my mum who is overweight and trying to loose! I am 5'2 and currently weigh 6 stone 3.
    I struggle to gain weight even when I take a weight gainer shake and eat 3 meals a day! I've had my thyroid tested and its normal. Help me please!

ReputationRep:
    You might just naturally have a very high metabolism so its a case of increasing your calories so you are consuming more than you're burning. Also due to your age, you will have a higher metabolism than your mum.
    Maybe add in some snacks during the day too. Higher calorie options like nuts, chocolate, biscuits etc. When I was on a weight gain programme I had to have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, equalling around 3500 calories.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've always been really skinny but its gotten to the point where I'm fed up of looking like a bag bones and its affecting both my physical and mental health. I spoke to my doctor and she confirmed I was underweight and I just needed to eat more (she implied she thought I had an eating disorder - which I do not!)
    I eat the same as my mum who is overweight and trying to loose! I am 5'2 and currently weigh 6 stone 3.
    I struggle to gain weight even when I take a weight gainer shake and eat 3 meals a day! I've had my thyroid tested and its normal. Help me please!
    From the info I am assuming that you are female? Eat nutritious food and large amounts of it. Avoid dodgy foods such as fast food (if you eat them often, not saying you do) and go heavy on carbohydrates + protein. Just generally pack the calories in. You say you have three meals a day, perhaps pack some snacks in there as well if you can. Do you eat to physical fullness each meal or just to satisfy your hunger? Perhaps push a bit further towards fullness provided it doesn't make you feel sick.

And finally, remember that this will be a long term process; you won't put on 2 stone overnight! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Consume more calories .

It's literally that simple.

Milk is a very good method. High in calories and it's easier to drink 500ml milk rather than eat an extra meal.

Go for calorie dense foods if you're already feeling full and struggling to eat more. Nuts, Peanut butter etc are great. I went from 9 stone to 14 stone at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to increase your calorie intake, rather than look at how much you're eating. If you want to eat healthily but still consume a ton of calories, there are ways around it.
    Add extra eg olive oil to your pasta, salads, etc, eat a bar of dark choc or organic milk chocolate a day, have bigger breakfasts with more variety, increase your protein and carbs (you could snack on nuts if you want, and a good thing to eat would be a toasted sandwich with peanut butter and Nutella inside). Substitute semi skimmed milk for full fat, instead of having eg two scrambled eggs just add another one, etc.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound counterproductive but try doing exercise - not super cardio but things like yoga or swimming. It'll help you eat more and build up muscle rather than fat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a 4-5k cal diet at the moment which is done by having a large breakfast (3000cals) and then a smaller meal at dinner time usually around 12hrs later. - I understand it's not the same for everyone but if you want to intake more cals you could try having a big meal once a day. Now the most important thing is which high calorie foods are easier to consume.
    Peanut butter is one of the easiest, along with cheese (melted) and buns/bread, milk is also great to get some extra cals after a meal but I don't chug milk due to the amount of sugar it contains.

To give a clearer idea 150g of cheese, 8 buns and 75g of oil is 2400cals - add 600cals more to that with meat, peas or whatever and that pretty much sums up my large breakfast of 3kcals.

ReputationRep:
    As above, if you can build a bit of muscle mass at the same time, that would be healthier. If all you do is consume more calories, then you may just put on fat, which isn't good for you (unless your GP has expressed specific concerns about your body fat ratio, rather than just your weight in general). Muscle weighs more than fat.

Don't go nuts in the gym, just get a little more active with gentle exercise. I'd go with the suggested yoga.

ReputationRep:
    You're simply put eating less than you think you are. Don't compare what you eat to what others eat, it's not productive.
    You simply need to put more food into your gob, I guarantee if you recorded honestly,meticulously and accurately what you eat in calories every single day for the next couple of weeks the figure would be less than you think.

I know so many people with supposed "fast metabolisms" who think no matter what they eat they Simpy cannot gain weight. And after living with a couple of them it's so obviously nonsense and they're lying to themselves or simply not paying attention to their food intake enough or at all. Just because you gorge yourself on snacks every now and again it does not mean you will gain weight, you have to eat more calories than your TDEE constantly not just every now and again to gain an average of over TDEE calories.

As others have said try to eat calorie dense food, peanut butter and nuts are best. With some nuts you can pack in 500-700 calories just from a handful. And if you take in the advice of doing more exercise and trying to gain muscle as well then make sure you're eating enough protein. To figure out how much you should be eating work out your TDEE (google) and eat 500 more to gain 1lb a week or 1000 more to gain 2lb a week approximately. For a more complex break down of what macro nutrients you should be eating and in what ratio take a gander on the fitness forum for help.

Be aware that the more weight you gain the higher your TDEE will get, so as you gain weight be sure to keep checking your TDEE to ensure you're still eating above TDEE. Once you are at a weight you are happy with recalculate your TDEE and eat that amount of calories per day.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, I'll defiantly start monitoring my intake and increasing my calories!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.