Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    dq = kq(a-q)
    dt

I have to solve this for the general equation, using partial fractions. I have broken it down to (1/ka)((1/q)+(1/a-q)dq = 1dt and have integrated that to get ln(q)-ln(a-q) = ka(t)+c
    I take exponentials and get 2q-a = e^[ka(t)+c]
    Finally adding a and dividing by 2 to isolate q gives

e^[kat+c] +a = q

My issue is that when I substitute this and it's derivative back into the original differential to check, I can't get it to solve. Can anyone see where I've gone wrong?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ryanicholls)
    dq = kq(a-q)
    dt

I have to solve this for the general equation, using partial fractions. I have broken it down to (1/ka)((1/q)+(1/a-q)dq = 1dt and have integrated that to get ln(q)-ln(a-q) = ka(t)+c
    I take exponentials and get 2q-a = e^[ka(t)+c]
    Finally adding a and dividing by 2 to isolate q gives

e^[kat+c] +a = q

My issue is that when I substitute this and it's derivative back into the original differential to check, I can't get it to solve. Can anyone see where I've gone wrong?
    When you've taken the exponential of both sides, e^(ln(q) - ln(a-q)) is not equal to 2q - a. You should combine the two logs so that you just have e^ln(j) where j is something and that gives you j.

And if you post this in the maths forum rather than this umbrella forum you will get a faster response.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.