Do we really possess free will? Watch

This discussion is closed.
queen-of-pain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Most people mean contra causal free will i.e. we do what we want and our wants are uncaused.Personally I have more of a deterministic view, that we can do what we want but what we want always has a cause.
I'm interested to know if people think we do have free will and whether or not belief in God plays a part in the justification. I get the impression sometimes that people think free will is really important and such a fantastic thing to have that somehow we would be less without it. I don't think its such a big deal because I think that our view of good and bad and right and wrong is overhyped. Often people I know say things like 'yeah, that's evil' like such a thing even exists and somehow they are in a position to judge what is universally right and wrong.
I've kinda gone off my original topic onto morality now but I think theyre both interesting! :rolleyes:
icklehc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah A level psychology...how im dreading the exam on friday!
queen-of-pain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by icklehc)
ah A level psychology...how im dreading the exam on friday!
Good luck I had my philosophy exams yesterday, this wasn't on them though, I just like to dicuss it.
icklehc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thanku! i wil need it
yeh its an interesting topic...ive kinda got mixed opinions
id like to think we all have free will but unfortunately i dont think we do
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends on definition of the term. Libertarian free will would make everyone inherently unpredictable and no social structure would be possible. You can redefine it as simply the lack of constraints placed on our behaviour by another conscious being, but that isn't usually what people mean when they discuss the term philosophically. Determinism is scary, but its the only view that makes much sense. I'll have to read Dennet's "Freedom Evolves" sometime though - apparently he's got something new to say.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (553)
80.61%
Leave (133)
19.39%

Watched Threads