x Turn on thread page Beta

Fitness routine suggestion? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    What's a good beginner routine to do? I have no strength whatsoever.

A routine that's largely based on using olympic bars which are in the man area of the gym is too far from my comfort zone to be realistic.

So hopefully something that is based on cardio machines, resistance machines and cables and dumbells. I attend a pure gym if that helps.

A little background: I peaked at about 126kg. I went down to 110-112kg last year with dieting. I tried the NY transformation early this year but quit early on with my lowest just being 108 kg. My weight went up this year, peaking at around 115kg. I'm now 107.5kg and I'd like to continue the weight loss however I'd like to increase my fitness and not be skin and bone when the fat goes.

ReputationRep:
    Just get out of your comfort zone and do a 5x5 variation.
    No one will care, but if it does matter that much to you, why not go to the gym in the morning so at like 6/7am there's barely anyone around then. Alternatively go at midnight until you're comfortable with the bar.
    AFAIK all pure gyms are 24/7
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 0range)
    Just get out of your comfort zone and do a 5x5 variation.
    No one will care, but if it does matter that much to you, why not go to the gym in the morning so at like 6/7am there's barely anyone around then. Alternatively go at midnight until you're comfortable with the bar.
    AFAIK all pure gyms are 24/7
    I leave for work between 6:30 and 7:00am. It's not that I think they're bad. They're highly rated on bodybuilding sites and clearly they know what they're talking about however from past experience, I know that I won't have the motivation to maintain something that's so uncomfortable for me. I'd prefer to go for something that I know I can realistically maintain for the foreseeable future. It's like the diet. I could never go on a 0 carb or all smoothie diet or something ridiculous like that but what I could do was stop binging on problem foods and so I stopped gaining weight and began to lose it.

Yup, my gym is 24 hours . I know they don't care rationally but it's my internal perception and fear of them judging me. It's doable when someone else with me but I don't have a gym buddy atm and I can't afford personal training atm either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    I leave for work between 6:30 and 7:00am. It's not that I think they're bad. They're highly rated on bodybuilding sites and clearly they know what they're talking about however from past experience, I know that I won't have the motivation to maintain something that's so uncomfortable for me. I'd prefer to go for something that I know I can realistically maintain for the foreseeable future. It's like the diet. I could never go on a 0 carb or all smoothie diet or something ridiculous like that but what I could do was stop binging on problem foods and so I stopped gaining weight and began to lose it.

Yup, my gym is 24 hours . I know they don't care rationally but it's my internal perception and fear of them judging me. It's doable when someone else with me but I don't have a gym buddy atm and I can't afford personal training atm either.
    Can you not go to the gym before work and go to bed a bit earlier? The way I look at the gym is as if it's a lifestyle and it helps a lot more cause you don't end up needing motivation for it, it seems to become habitual or at least I perceive it to be that way. I always go to the gym before I start my day, whether that is forcing me to wake up at 4am or 5am I still get it done, but normally it is me getting up at 6am. There is legit no one at the gym at these times so there really isn't anyone around to judge you!

I did say you could go at midnight as well but that's not so great considering you'll get a pump and that will 100% give you trouble sleeping afterwards.

I guess it is just down to how bad you want/need it. I don't go to the gym to look good, I mean it's a plus but that's not why I do it. I do it because it helps me deal with whatever life throws at me, and mainly cause it keeps me afloat wrt my mental health. I'm sort of like at a safe haven when I'm lifting haha

If any of the above still doesn't appeal to you then realistically just focus on progressive overload on the machines you use. Full body is optimal but just do a brosplit on machines so
    Mon: Chest and tri
    Tues: Back and bi
    Wed: Legs and shoulders
    Thurs: off
    Repeat

Do sets of 5x5 on machines and write down your llifts, focus on increasing the weight every respective session. Write down all the numbers you hit. Cardio machines aren't going to help with strength but you can add them before your workouts or do them on your day off.
    If you struggle with increasing the weight from a 5x5 then instead of 5x5 go to 3x8 then 4x8 then 5x8 then increase and you should be able to do 5x5 with the next weight.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not go to the gym before work and go to bed a bit earlier? The way I look at the gym is as if it's a lifestyle and it helps a lot more cause you don't end up needing motivation for it, it seems to become habitual or at least I perceive it to be that way. I always go to the gym before I start my day, whether that is forcing me to wake up at 4am or 5am I still get it done, but normally it is me getting up at 6am. There is legit no one at the gym at these times so there really isn't anyone around to judge you!

I did say you could go at midnight as well but that's not so great considering you'll get a pump and that will 100% give you trouble sleeping afterwards.

I guess it is just down to how bad you want/need it. I don't go to the gym to look good, I mean it's a plus but that's not why I do it. I do it because it helps me deal with whatever life throws at me, and mainly cause it keeps me afloat wrt my mental health. I'm sort of like at a safe haven when I'm lifting haha

If any of the above still doesn't appeal to you then realistically just focus on progressive overload on the machines you use. Full body is optimal but just do a brosplit on machines so
    Repeat

Do sets of 5x5 on machines and write down your llifts, focus on increasing the weight every respective session. Write down all the numbers you hit. Cardio machines aren't going to help with strength but you can add them before your workouts or do them on your day off.
    If you struggle with increasing the weight from a 5x5 then instead of 5x5 go to 3x8 then 4x8 then 5x8 then increase and you should be able to do 5x5 with the next weight.
    good advice but machines are inferior compared to free weights
    theres also no point doing a bro split if you are a noob natty, because you could be training body parts 3x a week instead of twice

ReputationRep:
    Work out your TDEE, eat 500 calories less. Lift heavy. Get swole.

If not you're getting swole then eat 100 calories less and lift even more.

ReputationRep:
    As you have little to no strength base it's probably a decent idea to start with a full body workout, and try and go say three times a week, no two days consecutively.

Try and hit each main body part by doing some push, some pull, and some leg work, each time you go to the gym, and focus on compound movements primarily.

If you're alright to use dumbbells, some decent exercises to do would be for push exercises (ie chest, tris and shoulders): Flat DB Press, Incline DB Press, Overhead DB Press (seated or standing). For pulling exercises, try DB Rows and curls, and for legs you could try goblet squats and lunges.

No harm in using resistance machines too and again, for those movements, try a Chest Press machine, a lat pulldown machine, seated row machine or some assisted chinups, and the leg press, leg extensions, leg curls and calf raises machines.

Obviously you don't have to do each exercise every time but maybe try and focus on 2, or maybe 3, exercises from each movement, with the main focus being on increasing the weight and/or reps each time.

A good starting point would be to start on a lower, comfortable weight, to ensure you're doing each exercises correctly. No one will care what weight you're lifting, honestly. If you add weight each time you do the lift (or if that can't be done, add an extra rep or two or another set), you should see results.

In terms of diet, do what the above guys say. Work out TDEE, eat a bit less. Maybe gulp a protein shake down post-workout as it's an easy way to get protein without overdosing on calories.

Good luck
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster

Repeat
    So Day 1 could be Pec flies, dumbell chest press (flat and incline), tricep pull downs using cable
    Day 2 could be Lat pulldown, Dumbell rows, Cable rows and dumbell squats
    Day 3 could be deadlifts, shoulder press, shrugs

Do these sound okay?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make a significant change to your body , you have to leave your comfort zone. There is no point in doing split training when your overall body has no foundation to work with. 5V5 or SS program is probably best , stick to that for 4-5 months and then once your lifts are high enough you can change to split training. For cardio , probably best to do it on an empty stomach , helps to reduce weight. Also , do HIIT workouts 3 times a week. Also you need around 0.6-1 grams of protein per pound , since your around 230 pounds best to limit protein to around 150g.

PS: 5X5 consists of an A/B full workout split:

Set A: Squat , Deadlift and Overhead Press
    Set B : Squat , Bench Press and Barbell row.
    ( Just go stronglifts.com)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So Day 1 could be Pec flies, dumbell chest press (flat and incline), tricep pull downs using cable
    Day 2 could be Lat pulldown, Dumbell rows, Cable rows and dumbell squats
    Day 3 could be deadlifts, shoulder press, shrugs

Do these sound okay?
    I'd ignore that part of his advice mate, rest was good but bro split isn't the way for a beginner.

You can gain very well on a dumbbell only routine though as a beginner, I certainly did I'd be sticking to a full body routine though or at least some kind of split that has you training each muscle twice a week at low volume.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    If you want to make a significant change to your body , you have to leave your comfort zone. There is no point in doing split training when your overall body has no foundation to work with. 5V5 or SS program is probably best , stick to that for 4-5 months and then once your lifts are high enough you can change to split training. For cardio , probably best to do it on an empty stomach , helps to reduce weight. Also , do HIIT workouts 3 times a week. Also you need around 0.6-1 grams of protein per pound , since your around 230 pounds best to limit protein to around 150g.

PS: 5X5 consists of an A/B full workout split:

Set A: Squat , Deadlift and Overhead Press
    Set B : Squat , Bench Press and Barbell row.
    ( Just go stronglifts.com)
    Well I can try at going incredibly early. I just feel panicked when bigger guys are around the olympic bar which is what I'd have to use with those sorts of programmes. Fortunately I work at a school so will have the christmas holidays to train. Empty is certainly what I'd do! I feel uncomfortable otherwise.
    I'm down to ¬105kg so at least there's still progress even if it's slow . Hopefully some weight training will be what I need.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I'd ignore that part of his advice mate, rest was good but bro split isn't the way for a beginner.

You can gain very well on a dumbbell only routine though as a beginner, I certainly did I'd be sticking to a full body routine though or at least some kind of split that has you training each muscle twice a week at low volume.
    Thanks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're stuck with anything if you decide to go dumbbell only mate

ReputationRep:
    Well I can try at going incredibly early. I just feel panicked when bigger guys are around the olympic bar which is what I'd have to use with those sorts of programmes. Fortunately I work at a school so will have the christmas holidays to train. Empty is certainly what I'd do! I feel uncomfortable otherwise.
    I'm down to ¬105kg so at least there's still progress even if it's slow . Hopefully some weight training will be what I need.

Thanks
    Do you have social anxiety or something? People are the gym are actually quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    Empty is certainly what I'd do! I feel uncomfortable otherwise.

Thanks
    Depends person to person but I'd argue that if you were e.g running for more than an hour it might be wise to have something to eat before hand. A small meal 1-2 hours before suits me. Otherwise I get too empty and feel sick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    @tsrmustafa anxiety yes, though it's not crippling. I have been doing cardio but finally ventured into the free weights area today as it's quiet.

Wasn't too bad.

I'm doing Starting Strength (pull up) except I'm substituting lat pull downs for now instead of chin ups. It's easier than SL as 3x5 and it seems the progression is less strict. My gym doesn't have 1.25 plates so I'll be forced to increase by 2x2.5s.

It was such a relief to discover I found the 20kg thin bar fairly easy so while I'm weak, once I start with the Olympic bar and start adding plates, I'm sure I'll make progress consistently until things begin to plateau. Perhaps I'll buy some 1.25s next month for when progress is harder.

Only did 20 minutes of cardio though I did walk there and back.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    One of the gym bros even demonstrated how to use the rack to squat properly which was pretty cool

ReputationRep:
    Doing SS you'll probably want 1.25s quite soon. Adding 5kg is ok in the medium term for lower body but for overhead press it will be waaay too much pretty quickly
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BKS)
    Doing SS you'll probably want 1.25s quite soon. Adding 5kg is ok in the medium term for lower body but for overhead press it will be waaay too much pretty quickly
    Thanks.

I guess I'll buy a couple from Amazon then. They'll likely arrive in a couple weeks, with Christmas.

What do you think of lat pull down instead of chin up? I saw a thread where someone made this recommendation instead of the assisted pull up machine. 52kg was what I could do and I found it difficult. I weigh double that.

For the other stuff, I used the think 25kg barbell.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a road bike and ride 20km, 5 days a week like me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I guess I'll buy a couple from Amazon then. They'll likely arrive in a couple weeks, with Christmas.

What do you think of lat pull down instead of chin up? I saw a thread where someone made this recommendation instead of the assisted pull up machine. 52kg was what I could do and I found it difficult. I weigh double that.

For the other stuff, I used the think 25kg barbell.
    Might be stating the obvious but just in case, make sure you buy ones that'll fit an olympic bar

Sensible substitution, same movement but more possible for people who aren't skinny and easier to progress on

I'd stick to 20kg bar for deadlift at least, thick bars make grip harder

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.