Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    -Save atleast 40% off your weekly/monthly pay. When buying something, think of how many hours you worked to afford it.

-Make way for a 2nd income if possible

-Increase your financial advice

-If you cannot buy it twice you cannot afford it

-Increase your financial IQ/Knowledge

-Invest your money in assets and not liabilities

-Put money towards a pension pot

-Make money on the side on things such as eBay, Amazon, Gumtree if you can.

-Money is not everything, there are other important things such as health, family, wellbeing.

-Don't borrow money that you cannot afford to pay back and know the difference between good debt and bad debt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koolin123)
    -Save atleast 40% off your weekly/monthly pay. When buying something, think of how many hours you worked to afford it.

-Make way for a 2nd income if possible

-Increase your financial advice

-If you cannot buy it twice you cannot afford it

-Increase your financial IQ/Knowledge

-Invest your money in assets and not liabilities

-Put money towards a pension pot

-Make money on the side on things such as eBay, Amazon, Gumtree if you can.

-Money is not everything, there are other important things such as health, family, wellbeing.

-Don't borrow money that you cannot afford to pay back and know the difference between good debt and bad debt
    This is very good advice (i especially like the "think about how many hours work it will cost you" tip), but can you elaborate on:

- "Increase your financial advice"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    40% is a lot of money save, especially if you're on a low income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    40% is a lot of money save, especially if you're on a low income.
    I agree, it's unrealistic to say there should be a set % of income people should be saving. Someone on minimum wage simply would not be able to afford to save 40% of their income while still being able to afford a roof, food, bills and clothes etc.

A more realistic goal for everyone is to be able to save as much as possible and aim to have several months worth of expenses saved up for emergencies. Most people who are able to be frugal and live within their means and budget properly should be able to achieve that savings goal within a few months to a year or two for those on the lowest incomes.

ReputationRep:
    i am 19 and have a case of sovereigns as a pension pot i plan to buy another 90 in stages and maybe process a few 1 t.oz bars for myself too from scrap both e-waste and old jewellery that i buy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.