Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't know whether to switch to part-time or not! HELP! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

So I'm currently on the GDL full time at BPP, and the work load as you can imagine is highly intense. So much to do - on top of which there is mooting, pro-bono, mini pupillage and vac scheme applications!

I have a job on the weekends (I really do need the money) and so have recently had very little time to study. I am only just about able to get the minimum reading done - and I know for a fact that if I carry on like this I will probably just scrape a pass, if that. I had a brief chat with my tutor and she suggested to drop the job or go part-time? How bad is going part-time? the issue is that I am already 23 and I don't have much time to waste.

What are the absolute disadvantages/advantages of studying the GDL part-time?

ANY help is much appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    yeh go part time. or drop the job.

forget this idea about being 23 and have no time to waste. Actually, you have a lot of time to waste. You are 23, not 33 or 43 or 53. My bet is you still live at home.

Whats the average age of a pupil barrister? it is a lot older than 23. so forget that. ask instead, will your parents still support you if you go part time? if you are living with your parents of course.

dont carry on, you might fail, never mind scrape a pass. then you will feel silly and you wont get another shot at it. no one will be interested that you could have got a higher grade, but you were too busy.

unless you dont mind getting a pass. if you dont have a tc, then you would be better served getting a commendation.

there is no advantages disadvantages situation here, the question is, are you going to be happy about failing the GDL or 'scraping a pass'? if you are, then carry on. if not, you have to create more time.

You did not mention your apps and pro bono. presumably you want to keep that going.

the college of law has a full time course which is 3 days a week. did you choose the 5 day a week at BPP? why?

(Original post by Kaya_01)
    Hi guys

So I'm currently on the GDL full time at BPP, and the work load as you can imagine is highly intense. So much to do - on top of which there is mooting, pro-bono, mini pupillage and vac scheme applications!

I have a job on the weekends (I really do need the money) and so have recently had very little time to study. I am only just about able to get the minimum reading done - and I know for a fact that if I carry on like this I will probably just scrape a pass, if that. I had a brief chat with my tutor and she suggested to drop the job or go part-time? How bad is going part-time? the issue is that I am already 23 and I don't have much time to waste.

What are the absolute disadvantages/advantages of studying the GDL part-time?

ANY help is much appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    yeh go part time. or drop the job.

forget this idea about being 23 and have no time to waste. Actually, you have a lot of time to waste. You are 23, not 33 or 43 or 53. My bet is you still live at home.

Whats the average age of a pupil barrister? it is a lot older than 23. so forget that. ask instead, will your parents still support you if you go part time? if you are living with your parents of course.

dont carry on, you might fail, never mind scrape a pass. then you will feel silly and you wont get another shot at it. no one will be interested that you could have got a higher grade, but you were too busy.

unless you dont mind getting a pass. if you dont have a tc, then you would be better served getting a commendation.

there is no advantages disadvantages situation here, the question is, are you going to be happy about failing the GDL or 'scraping a pass'? if you are, then carry on. if not, you have to create more time.

You did not mention your apps and pro bono. presumably you want to keep that going.

the college of law has a full time course which is 3 days a week. did you choose the 5 day a week at BPP? why?
    Hey, thanks for responding!
    I have actually come to a decision and decided to go part-time - think its probably the best thing to do as I really cannot afford to drop my job.

yep still very actively doing pro bono once a week on top of preparing for mooting competitions. I chose the 4 day a week at BPP because I live ridiculously close to it and thought it would make my life easier..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you will regret it at all - plus you have shown good foresight to go part time. Honestly, it won't make the slightest difference in the long run plus you will be putting yourself in the chance to get the best results. The GDL exams are tough. You will be thanking yourself further down the line! good luck

(Original post by Kaya_01)
    Hey, thanks for responding!
    I have actually come to a decision and decided to go part-time - think its probably the best thing to do as I really cannot afford to drop my job.

yep still very actively doing pro bono once a week on top of preparing for mooting competitions. I chose the 4 day a week at BPP because I live ridiculously close to it and thought it would make my life easier..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.