The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
well i did shockingly. can officially wave goodbye to my A, i'l be lucky to get a D on that paper, oh i hate exams!!!!

gotta do really well in othello/blake to salvage a B
Reply 61
kokopops1
we got told ur supposed to make at least 16 wider reading ref's

that's bull. My teacher, who is a great teacher & has spent time as an examiner for AQA, wrote an example essay for 1b, and she made 3 - 4 brief, undetailed references. She focused in great detail on the extracts, and it was an amazing essay. 16 references just detracts from the actual extracts. 1 hr 45 mins is barely enough to focus on the extracts in enough detail - shoving 16 references in there is just a ridiculous expectation.
Plus, one - two references is enough to get you marks for the 'wider reading' criteria. As long as you've reffered, then they can't mark you down. Most of the marks are in the way you analyse. That's why it's called synoptic - it tests your on-the-spot abilities to read & interpret - not your ability to regurgate things you've already read. That's left for the Othello/Blake exam!
Reply 62
sneezyme
hey i went to that conference in london too, about the unit 6 paper...was yours in euston/euston square and there were four talkers, and the last talker went through the 2003 1b question? if so, i was there too!
i'm going to start a new thread for the othello and keats/blake paper. look out for it everyone...

The one I went to was in November (I think ???) and was at the University of London Education building :smile:

Tbh, I'm starting to think this unit is slightly stupid... no one seems to be able to agree on how best to answer the questions! I reckon I made about 20-25 references to wider-reading (mostly name dropping hehe) I also compared the extracts to each other tho.
Reply 63
Acid_Rain
The one I went to was in November (I think ???) and was at the University of London Education building :smile:

Tbh, I'm starting to think this unit is slightly stupid... no one seems to be able to agree on how best to answer the questions! I reckon I made about 20-25 references to wider-reading (mostly name dropping hehe) I also compared the extracts to each other tho.

That's just it, I don't think there is any one way to best answer the question. English as a subject is largely subjective anyway - and this unit more than most. I personally think, as long as you quote some wider reading and make some good comparisons, you're on the right track. You're jumping through hoops which include showing your critical skills, your ability to construct arguments, careful selection of back-up reading, etc - and as long as you show each skill to some extent, I think you're doing okay.

But I guess we'll know in results day :wink:
Reply 64
slowjamz
That's just it, I don't think there is any one way to best answer the question. English as a subject is largely subjective anyway - and this unit more than most. I personally think, as long as you quote some wider reading and make some good comparisons, you're on the right track. You're jumping through hoops which include showing your critical skills, your ability to construct arguments, careful selection of back-up reading, etc - and as long as you show each skill to some extent, I think you're doing okay.

But I guess we'll know in results day :wink:

Oh well, I have 100% in each of the four lit modules so I guess it won't hurt much if I only get a C in this one. (Tho 600/ 600 overall woulda been nice :rolleyes: ) Plus, last year I thought I'd totally messed up one of the exams and ended up being completely wrong.... hopefully all of us will achieve the results we want :smile:
Reply 65
Acid_Rain
Oh well, I have 100% in each of the four lit modules so I guess it won't hurt much if I only get a C in this one. (Tho 600/ 600 overall woulda been nice :rolleyes: ) Plus, last year I thought I'd totally messed up one of the exams and ended up being completely wrong.... hopefully all of us will achieve the results we want :smile:

Wow, same here! Got 100% in the first four too... so can get away with an E on this one if it comes to it and still get the A I need! 600/600 would be nice as you said :rolleyes: but I'm just glad I'm not under so much pressure with English now. Fingers crossed for everyone's results :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending