Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So I really have no idea what I want to do at uni. I always imagined myself doing english literature but I want to broaden my choices. I'm taking English Lit, Media, History and Graphics. I don't think I would really want to do anything in graphics, but I love my other subjects, but just don't know what I would do with them. I don't want to become a historian or anything, but I quite like politics. I also love advertising and of course I love books. I just don't know what I want to do though, I want to be able to get a job that pays well (I know that's hard lol) so I don't want to take a useless degree or disregarded one. Could anyone give me degree options with the a levels that I have taken?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieBooks)
    Hi! So I really have no idea what I want to do at uni. I always imagined myself doing english literature but I want to broaden my choices. I'm taking English Lit, Media, History and Graphics. I don't think I would really want to do anything in graphics, but I love my other subjects, but just don't know what I would do with them. I don't want to become a historian or anything, but I quite like politics. I also love advertising and of course I love books. I just don't know what I want to do though, I want to be able to get a job that pays well (I know that's hard lol) so I don't want to take a useless degree or disregarded one. Could anyone give me degree options with the a levels that I have taken?
    A degree in English and History isn't as useless as you think, and generally depends on the person doing it (e.g. those that do lots of work experience and extracurricular activies such as managing a club will be more likely to receive a job offer). For example here shows the jobs of which Sheffield's BA History grads go on to do (you'll see that many end up getting a job in finance). What I'm trying to say is whichever degree you choose, you should make the most use of all opportunities around you and use the transferable skills you've learnt.

You can do lots of courses such as Comp Sci, Political Sciences, Politics with Philosophy, Law (or even a joint honour degrees in Law). I'd recommend looking at joint honour courses.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I feel there's little point studying for a degree you're not interested in just for the prospect of getting a high paying job. High paying jobs attract lots of applicants, and you'll likely be competing with people who actually want to be on that degree and actually want that job; generally speaking, they'll be better candidates than you.

With History and English Literature, you could apply for most essay subjects, that can lead to well-paying jobs if your application is complemented by extra-curriculars, work-experience, and strong soft skills. History, English, Politics, Philosophy, Law (though I wouldn't recommend this path if your heart isn't in it), are all options available to you.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.