Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in my third year at university and share a house with two girls. We all attend the same university and are in the same year. Also, one of the girls and I are also on the same course. I was really excited when I moved in with them, as I have had bad experiences with regards to living with housemates throughout my time at university. However, I've started to feel as though this will also be this year.

I am closer to the housemate who is not on the same course with me. However, you would not know this is the case as since we moved in she always spends time in her room, and barely addresses me if we come into contact with each other in the house. I have tried going to her room and striking up a conversation, or asking her if she fancies going out for drinks, shopping etc... However, she just looks at me as if I'm weird, or states that there is nothing to do in Canterbury (we go to canterbury chrisg church university), or that she already has plans. This is fine though it hurts that she never asks me to go out anywhere.

With regards to the other housemate she has a habit of leaving me out whenever I hang out with her and a friend of hers. I asked her what she was doing for halloween this year and she failed to tell me she was attending a party until the night in question, and that was only because I asked her again as I was curious about how she would be spending the night. The only reason this bothers me is due to the fact that I have met the host of the party. Also, she invited a friend along (one who she has ignored me in favour of) despite her not knowing the host. In addition to this she also has a tendency to ditch me in favour of her boyfriend. Like yesterday for example, she invited me out but then her boyfriend came round so she went out with him instead, but failed to tell me that our plans were cancelled.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant but I would really like to get your advice. They are the only two real friends I have at univerisity, and I have been trying to rectify this by joining societies. However, it does get me down as I spend the majority of my time in the house.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keira x)
    Hi, I'm in my third year at university and share a house with two girls. We all attend the same university and are in the same year. Also, one of the girls and I are also on the same course. I was really excited when I moved in with them, as I have had bad experiences with regards to living with housemates throughout my time at university. However, I've started to feel as though this will also be this year.

I am closer to the housemate who is not on the same course with me. However, you would not know this is the case as since we moved in she always spends time in her room, and barely addresses me if we come into contact with each other in the house. I have tried going to her room and striking up a conversation, or asking her if she fancies going out for drinks, shopping etc... However, she just looks at me as if I'm weird, or states that there is nothing to do in Canterbury (we go to canterbury chrisg church university), or that she already has plans. This is fine though it hurts that she never asks me to go out anywhere.

With regards to the other housemate she has a habit of leaving me out whenever I hang out with her and a friend of hers. I asked her what she was doing for halloween this year and she failed to tell me she was attending a party until the night in question, and that was only because I asked her again as I was curious about how she would be spending the night. The only reason this bothers me is due to the fact that I have met the host of the party. Also, she invited a friend along (one who she has ignored me in favour of) despite her not knowing the host. In addition to this she also has a tendency to ditch me in favour of her boyfriend. Like yesterday for example, she invited me out but then her boyfriend came round so she went out with him instead, but failed to tell me that our plans were cancelled.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant but I would really like to get your advice. They are the only two real friends I have at univerisity, and I have been trying to rectify this by joining societies. However, it does get me down as I spend the majority of my time in the house.

Thanks
    Have you thought about making friends with someone online. Like me? So you have someone to interact with when you are inside all day? Then you won't feel the need to ask your two housemates what they are doing. At least until you make more friends at a society or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Have you thought about making friends with someone online. Like me? So you have someone to interact with when you are inside all day? Then you won't feel the need to ask your two housemates what they are doing. At least until you make more friends at a society or something.
    Hey that sounds good, thanks .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    lol. smooth

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.