Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so the deadline for UCAS applications at my college is monday morning and I've pretty much chosen the universities I want to apply for (Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Exeter and Herriot-Watt) an MMath course and most of them require A*AB or AAB. However I wanted to choose Herriot-Watt as my insurance offer which requires ABB, however do you think they would accept me into the university with AAC in maths, further maths and politics respectively. My problem seems to be that I'm not the best at essay writing and arts and humanities subjects so I want an insurance just in case my grade goes down in politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mythological)
    Hi, so the deadline for UCAS applications at my college is monday morning and I've pretty much chosen the universities I want to apply for (Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Exeter and Herriot-Watt) an MMath course and most of them require A*AB or AAB. However I wanted to choose Herriot-Watt as my insurance offer which requires ABB, however do you think they would accept me into the university with AAC in maths, further maths and politics respectively. My problem seems to be that I'm not the best at essay writing and arts and humanities subjects so I want an insurance just in case my grade goes down in politics.
    If your predicted grades are AAC, you don't reach the requirements of any of the places you have chosen. None of those places make points offers, and although you have the equivalent of some of the offers in points terms, you do not meet the criterion they all have, which is a minimum of B across the board in all subjects. You need some lower offers to avoid a whole raft of rejections. If you apply as you intend, be aware that you are taking a lot of risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    If your predicted grades are AAC, you don't reach the requirements of any of the places you have chosen. None of those places make points offers, and although you have the equivalent of some of the offers in points terms, you do not meet the criterion they all have, which is a minimum of B across the board in all subjects. You need some lower offers to avoid a whole raft of rejections. If you apply as you intend, be aware that you are taking a lot of risks.
    I have AAB predicted in maths, further maths and government and politics respectively however nottingham and bath both told me there is a big chance I would get an A*AB offer as my college doesnt predict A*s. Most of my universities (bristol, Exeter and Herriot-Watt) require AAB with the contextual offer and ABB with Herriot Watt. I just want an insurance in case I don't do so well for politics
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mythological)
    I have AAB predicted in maths, further maths and government and politics respectively however nottingham and bath both told me there is a big chance I would get an A*AB offer as my college doesnt predict A*s. Most of my universities (bristol, Exeter and Herriot-Watt) require AAB with the contextual offer and ABB with Herriot Watt. I just want an insurance in case I don't do so well for politics
    Hi Mythological,

Glad we have made your shortlist! I just wanted to clarify Heriot-Watt's position on this. If your A's are in Maths and Further Maths and your C in Politics we would still be very likely to make you an offer. You are clearly talented with Maths and that is what our academics are looking for. :thumbsup:

If you end up applying here you will be invited to an Applicants Visit Day on campus, we also hold Applicants Information Evenings across the UK if you can't make it to the campus for an Applicants Day.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Heriot-Watt and i will hopefully be able to help with your decision process.
    Cheers,
    Keir

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.