Turn on thread page Beta

Is 20GB/month worth of Internet Data enough? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is 20GB worth of Internet data enough?
    Yes
    38.89%
    No
    61.11%

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I recently signed a 1 month contract with 3 for 20GB/month worth of internet data for £23/month. Would the 20GB last me for 1 month if I use the internet on my laptop for: 1) steam. 2) YouTube. 3) emails. 4) work/revision. 5) tsr/other forums.

How long can I expect that 20GB to last roughly?

I've only signed a 1 month contract with 3 as I'm waiting for Sky to send an engineer fix the fault line outside my house next week Friday. I know I could have waited but I need to submit UCAS app/plan & start revision early etc.

ReputationRep:
    You're revising for summer exams now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    Yes, there is no harm in revising now for summer exams.
    Starting early leaves less stress and work to cover closer to the exams.

I'm aiming for all As.

ReputationRep:
    Hands down, that's one of the worst broadband deals that I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much every other students that want A*/A have already started revision. Its extremely crucial to start now.

ReputationRep:
    i tried that same deal that you got from 3, due to the fact that i moved house and was gonna have to wait roughly a month before the virgin media people came to install my internet. the data should be enough for numbers: 3, 4 and 5 however streaming hd videos really uses a lot of data especially apps like netflix which can use as much as 1 gb of data per hour of streaming. i'm not one hundred percent about steam (i'm assuming its for online gaming). however playing on the ps4 uses about 100mb an hour for cod, 30ishmb for fifa;so it depends on the game i guess. youtube uses a fair bit of data but you should be alright if you put the image resolution to about 240p/360p. for revising you should be alright as surfing the internet uses 30ish mb an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Pretty much every other students that want A*/A have already started revision. Its extremely crucial to start now.
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Yes, there is no harm in revising now for summer exams.
    Starting early leaves less stress and work to cover closer to the exams.

I'm aiming for all As.
    You guys are clearly really keen but I guess that's a good thing rather than bad. And, you don't need to start now really. I perhaps started no more than 2 months before and got AAB.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are clearly really keen but I guess that's a good thing rather than bad. And, you don't need to start now really. I perhaps started no more than 2 months before and got AAB.
    Not everyone is you, and lots may be doing subject with a lot of content. I need to cover all of A2 before January so I can prepare for STEP entrance exam.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much you're streaming. If you like watching movies, then I highly doubt it will last - especially alongside browsing. Can't you just get another unlimited broadband installed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone is you, and lots may be doing subject with a lot of content. I need to cover all of A2 before January so I can prepare for STEP entrance exam.
    Everyone of my subjects had a lot of content m8
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I recently signed a 1 month contract with 3 for 20GB/month worth of internet data for £23/month. Would the 20GB last me for 1 month if I use the internet on my laptop for: 1) steam. 2) YouTube. 3) emails. 4) work/revision. 5) tsr/other forums.
    Unless you're in the habit of emailing / being emailed videos, the only two that will use any significant chunk of that are Steam and YouTube... and Steam is only going to be a big issue if you download games / updates.

So... how much do you love YouTube? Can you do your video streaming at a library (ideally with headphones!)?

ReputationRep:
    I have unlimited fast broadband+TV+telephone for that price.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone of my subjects had a lot of content m8
    If you're on about the subject (and not the people), then so do mine. But my point still stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Unless you're in the habit of emailing / being emailed videos, the only two that will use any significant chunk of that are Steam and YouTube... and Steam is only going to be a big issue if you download games / updates.

So... how much do you love YouTube? Can you do your video streaming at a library (ideally with headphones!)?
    What about watching twitch streams? Would that drain a significant amount of data really quickly or?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How long can I expect that 20GB to last roughly?

I've only signed a 1 month contract with 3 as I'm waiting for Sky to send an engineer fix the fault line outside my house next week Friday. I know I could have waited but I need to submit UCAS app/plan & start revision early etc.
    It depends on how much you watch Youtube and if you download games in the next few days. If you download a game you might burn through the whole lot in one go.

ReputationRep:
    Even for AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Even for AS?
    Yeah (only if you've already finished a module, but better to revise for the topics you've already covered and practice) as it means you don't have to worry much when exam approach and be more confident. It's what I did for Maths: I covered two whole modules before December, and focused on my other subjects more (as I struggle with them), then a week before the exam I recapped them and got an A on both modules easily.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah (only if you've already finished a module, but better to revise for the topics you've already covered and practice) as it means you don't have to worry much when exam approach and be more confident. It's what I did for Maths: I covered two whole modules before December, and focused on my other subjects more (as I struggle with them), then a week before the exam I recapped them and got an A on both modules easily.
    Yeah I am extremely confident with C1 to the point I can get an A with no effort, so I may use your approach as I struggle with Bio/Phys more (LOTS TO REMEMBER). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    One moment , here : http://prntscr.com/92u8xr/ I reset it as well lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    Yeah I am extremely confident with C1 to the point I can get an A with no effort, so I may use your approach as I struggle with Bio/Phys more (LOTS TO REMEMBER). Thanks
    It will make it much easier if you cover it all first, especially since you have to do an ISA/EMPA practical for those subject around March.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 18, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.