Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personality over looks? watch

Announcements

Hi everyone,
    So I've been talking to this guy quite a bit, we both know each other well and we've fallen for one another. His personality is completely amazing, he is the sweetest, funniest, loveliest guy I've ever spoken to and we just 'click'. He's asked me out and I said yes gladly However, when I showed my friends a picture they didn't seem too keen, it appears that every time I have a crush, its based mainly on personality and not looks. Is this sensible? I know sex is a big part of a relationship and looks come into play here, but I don't think he's ugly or anything, I'm just beyond attracted to him as a person. I guess what I'm asking is, am I doing the right thing even if everyone else doesn't think he's cute or whatever?

ReputationRep:
    **** what everyone else thinks. If you're sexually attracted to the guy (and it's evident you like him as a person) then nothing else matters. As long as you genuinely like him then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    It's got nothing to do with anyone else so yes, you are doing the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    If you are attracted to him then you are, why do you care about what others think?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone,
    So I've been talking to this guy quite a bit, we both know each other well and we've fallen for one another. His personality is completely amazing, he is the sweetest, funniest, loveliest guy I've ever spoken to and we just 'click'. He's asked me out and I said yes gladly However, when I showed my friends a picture they didn't seem too keen, it appears that every time I have a crush, its based mainly on personality and not looks. Is this sensible? I know sex is a big part of a relationship and looks come into play here, but I don't think he's ugly or anything, I'm just beyond attracted to him as a person. I guess what I'm asking is, am I doing the right thing even if everyone else doesn't think he's cute or whatever?
    Just ignore what the others think, if you want him go get him. I personally think if someone doesn't have a good personality that is a turn off for me right there.

ReputationRep:
    Did your friends say that they'll take him away?

Guess not.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what other people think, if you're attracted to somebody you go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I dont think you should worry about sex or intimacy related issues since whether your friends find him attractive will not be important as long as you find hom attractive.

Also, people who tend to go for personality over looks seem to be more confident and happy as the approval of society doesn't play role in their choice of a partner.

ReputationRep:
    Are you f$cking him? or are your friends f$cking him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    **** what everyone else thinks. If you're sexually attracted to the guy (and it's evident you like him as a person) then nothing else matters. As long as you genuinely like him then go for it!
    I was listening to "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica when reading this.

ReputationRep:
    Looks fade, so if you go with someone on that basis you will end up unhappy. You are making the right choice imo.

ReputationRep:
    Right choice. If he makes you feel happy then he is the right man for you. Don't let materialistic friends sway your decision.

Thanks for all the replies, I've spoken to him loads since and I'm confident that I'm doing the right thing **** what everyone else thinks XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone,
    Yes you are doing the right thing. When I really like someone for there personality I don't think about them sexually. Looks doesn't matter to me. I am a man.

ReputationRep:
    Yes ofc it's sensible. You shouldn't care what you're friends think, they sound like idiots. Personality trumps looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Yes ofc it's sensible. You shouldn't care what you're friends think, they sound like idiots. Personality trumps looks.
    :five:

Although looks are also a factor :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    :five:

Although looks are also a factor :holmes:
    I agree, but I think you can get over it if the person's personality is amazing and you both connect.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just noticed from my post.. *your :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    I agree, but I think you can get over it if the person's personality is amazing and you both connect.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just noticed from my post.. *your :facepalm:
    Agreed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.