Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrawing and Special Support Grant watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm thinking of withdrawing from University due to ill-health. I have been given the full amount of Maintenance loan and Special support grant this year, as well as £1825 of student loan. Prior to this and several years of absence I was given six years of maintenance loan and five years of tuition fee loan.

What will happen with the loan and special support grant repayment if I do withdraw as I have already used it for accommodation and am in debt.

Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

If you withdraw we will work out how much funding you were entitled to for the time you were in attendance and anything you have been paid in excess of this will need to be repaid immediately. It is paid through our collections team and you are usually able to set up a payment plan for an affordable amount rather than repaying it all in one lump sum if you can't afford it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi,

If you withdraw we will work out how much funding you were entitled to for the time you were in attendance and anything you have been paid in excess of this will need to be repaid immediately. It is paid through our collections team and you are usually able to set up a payment plan for an affordable amount rather than repaying it all in one lump sum if you can't afford it.

Thanks

Hi Mark Lee,

Thank you for your reply.

I was just wondering what the 'paid in excess' refers to? Does the special support grant count as in 'excess'? I have been in attendance throughout the course until now so there hasn't been any additional payments.

Also what would be a reasonable amount to repay per month as I am already in debt?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This amount would be any funding from the date you withdraw until your next payment. Special support grant would be included in this aswell. You would speak to our collections department in regards to repaying as the amount will be based on your income and how much you may be able to afford.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

If I withdraw at the start of next semester would the Special support grant from this semester need to be repaid? or only next semester's allowance?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

They would work out what you are entitled to based on the number of weeks you have attended. This doesn't necessarily match up with the dates you are paid at the start of each term, so even if you withdraw at the end of this term, and then don't receive any other funding, you may still have a slight overpayment depending on how they calculate your funding.

Once the university has advised us of your withdrawal, we will block all future funding and write to you to let you know if there has been an overpayment or not.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.