Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here is the situation:
    I am going to have my placement on a Rehabilitation Community Ward where elders diagnosed with acute mental illness coming from an acute ward, is now recovering in the rehab ward (which is where my first placement will be).

I have already read policies on my nhs trust, I do not have to wear uniform, travel plans are going well, RIO cards, D21, everything is ready. YET, I am still confused whether what I should do on the first day.

Obviously, my mentor will talk things through my Assessment Document. But after that, how will I improve the service user's health and wellbeing in a rehab settings? I have a vague idea such as conversing, doing outdoor activities and assisting when needed.

My problem is, what do I do in-between? What if I fail to create a therapeutic relationship with the service user? Should I try again? Clear the misunderstanding? Or try to avoid if necessary and I am not going to make any progress?

Any tips and advice from a Mental Health nurse doing placement on a Rehab settings? or any setting in general?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're worrying too much!! No matter where you go weather it's work or placement There's always a chance that it might not go quite as you expected, but that's not always a bad thing either!
    Just see how day 1 goes and take it from there. If you've never worked in mh or hospital settings before you won't be expected to pick it up in an hour or a day, that's why it's a placement, to develop the skills.
    All I can suggest is don't worry too much, try your best an ask lots of questions because it really helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.