Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Please help me on voltage-length graphs whilst trying to calculate the resistivity of a material.

In Physics, I did an experiment on calculating the resistivity of a material by altering the length of the wire.

I have calculated the gradient of the graph, however, I am not sure of what this actually tells me? My educated guess is that it is the value of (V/L), but I'm not sure.

Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about this (since I did alternative to practicals) but if we look at the formulae:
    1. Resistance = (resistivity of the material X length of the wire)/ cross sectional area of the wire
    2. Voltage= resistance X current (V=IR)

Since you drew a graph of Voltage against length, we need voltage on one side and length on the other

V=IR
    R= V/I - valid.

R= pl/A
    V/I= pl/A
    V= (pl X I)/A (in words, voltage = resistivity into length of the wire into the current divided by the Area)

Since y= mx + C (the gradient of a straight line)
    the gradient of a Voltage-length graph should give you (pXI)/ A i.e resistivity into current divided by Area.

I hope you can understand how I got the gradient (The i and the l look very similar, sorry about that.)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.