Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How related to chemistry is a couples vie of each others pics? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean to say, we can exchange pics, like them or not like them varying degrees respectively, but how related is that to chemistry if you met face to face? I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of this, because people can look different to their pics, personality, physically, all of it. And, you might look at someone and think they have nice features or body, doesn't mean you would feel that sexual tension next to them, whereas you might with someone with less impressive pics.

Can anyone offer their experience/advice on this? Just if I was considering internet meeting?

ReputationRep:
    'View', that should read in the title.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also, from people with experience...another question....

How late is it possible to meet someone after knowing them online, and does it depend on whether you have swapped pics? Like, can you talk to someone for ages, think it's right for meeting, and then not connect on meeting, or if you talk for ages and have pics, is it a pretty good indication of how it will go? Or is it much better to meet someone soon if you intend, otherwise you could tak for ages online and it be completely different feeling on meeting, which could be highly disconcerting and a huge letdown?

ReputationRep:
    I know it's bit niche but someone must have some experience of this

ReputationRep:
    C'mon. Make more effort.

ReputationRep:
    I've never met anyone online whom I later met in real life, but I can definitely say that the chemistry of meeting someone in person is much more powerful (and in my opinion accurate) than seeing someone's photos online.

So much of our communication is non-verbal (gestures, facial expressions, their speech patterns, even how they smell) that it is impossible to get as full and rich an impression of someone from a static photo as it is from meeting them face to face.

The night I met my boyfriend, it only took one dance for me to know that this was the man I would spend the rest of my life with (I made a random comment to my little brother about how this guy would be his future brother-in-law, and I couldn't even explain to myself what had made me say it).

Nothing in my conscious mind thought that I had any chance of a relationship with this guy - from what he said, he was obviously several years older than me, I was far away from home, so it would probably be long distance, and what on earth would make him interested in an inexperienced 17 year old like me?

Nevertheless, something about him ignited that spark and clearly my subconscious mind realised before my conscious mind did, that he was a perfect match for me.

I'm not saying that people can't form meaningful relationships online, but I think that it takes a lot longer and is more difficult, with a higher risk of the person not turning out to be quite as great as you imagined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plumstone)

I'm not saying that people can't form meaningful relationships online, but I think that it takes a lot longer and is more difficult, with a higher risk of the person not turning out to be quite as great as you imagined.
    You just can't predict I guess. There's no reason that two people shouldn't get on as well as they do online, and if there is mental chemistry that may also translate. However physical attraction is harder to say will be the same, because people can look attractive in pics but attraction is based on genes and body chemicals, it's even scientifically proven to be to do with odour.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.