Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I started GCSE art around September/October time, art is something I enjoy so I'm not too concerned about getting bored with it, but there is one problem. It's already November, and so far I've only COMPLETED 2 pieces of art, and they're not stunning, if I'm honest. I've heard that with GCSE art it's more quantity over quality anyway, but I'm not too sure. Anyway, I guess I'm wondering how much I have to do to secure at least a C. I'm year 11, if that helps. But I guess I'll still be taking this subject for year 12, too. Am I already behind, or would you say 2 pieces is at least average in 1 or 2 months?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    what board are you for art and have you started your coursework? im in year 11 at the moment and i didnt start my actual coursework until jan of year 10 and if i was doing 1/2 pieces per 2 months id be in a lot of trouble
    at this stage art isnt quality or quantity over anything: its purely both. you need a hefty amount of work at a high standard along with the necessary annotations to achieve good marks. though again, im with ocr for art and theyre a more extreme board than others so im not sure about other boards but i can only imagine it would be the same.
    my advice would be you probably need to speed up a bit and dont worry if youre not happy with your work because 1. you never will be and 2. you dont really need to be that super artistic at gcse to do well, just make sure you do your annotations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intr0vert)
    So, I started GCSE art around September/October time, art is something I enjoy so I'm not too concerned about getting bored with it, but there is one problem. It's already November, and so far I've only COMPLETED 2 pieces of art, and they're not stunning, if I'm honest. I've heard that with GCSE art it's more quantity over quality anyway, but I'm not too sure. Anyway, I guess I'm wondering how much I have to do to secure at least a C. I'm year 11, if that helps. But I guess I'll still be taking this subject for year 12, too. Am I already behind, or would you say 2 pieces is at least average in 1 or 2 months?
    Thanks.
    This is almost entirely true (surprisingly, my art teacher also agreed with me.) However that does not mean that your work should not be to a satisfactory standard, no point just putting scribbles on a page. I dislike the way art is marked because it values experimentation and the quantity of alternate ideas/ compositions over just purely how effective something is and how good it looks

To get a C+ in art
    - Use a range of different mediums
    - Study a wide range of artists with good written annotation
    - Let artists approaches and styles influence your own work
    - Show a clear journey to your final piece
    - Offer loads of experimentation, primary studies and alternate ideas
    - Make your final piece a good reflection of everything you have learnt whislst doing the project.

Unfortunately, this does mean you have to devote a lot of time to doing Art out of the classroom. Ask your teacher for suggestions - I found myself in Art every lunchtime getting advice on where to go with my project next . And finally, I can't stress enough, just do what your teacher says even if you're not sure about it yourself because they have the experience on what you can do next in order to get a good grade.

I am sorry this was so long,this is all stuff I've learnt doing my mock exam project and I hope you ace your coursework Good luck

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.