Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if there were two people were in a room. One, a man with sharp, yellow teeth, demonic eyes, a crooked back, muddy hands, dirty fingernails, wearing ripped rags and an demented smile, and the other; a little girl, only 8 years old, who was crying her eyes out for her money. If I were police inspector, and you were brought into a room, and I told you that one of the two people in the room was a murderer, who would you pick?

Society has always been judgmental on our looks. Looks have become everything some people aspire to do; it doesn’t matter about education,but the latest iPhone or the Calvin Klein underwear does. I was in a changing room, about a month ago and saw that a member of my class was being bullied because he wore underwear from ‘Next’. Firstly, I asked myself “Why were they looking at his underwear?”, and then asked “Why does anyone care?”

Apart from being, as a people in the 21st Century,consumed by consumerism, how we ‘look’ is a much heavier topic. As humans, we like to ‘look good’. People like Marilyn Manson (<3) have been judged just because they choose to look a certain way. In the United States of America, a Goth was run over, and killed, by a ‘jock’. When he was taken to court, the jury agreed that it was the Goth’s fault for wearing ‘provocative clothing’. The jock went on to get a sporting scholarship, and the case was dismissed.However, if it were the opposite, and the Goth murdered a ‘jock’, then it would be whole different story, all because the boy likes black hair and wears a bit of make-up.

What has happened to our morale? We have become blinded by people's looks, that we don’t see the content of people’s hearts anymore.

We(well, I do. Many people may do, but I haven’t met anyone that does) don’t judge people because of their personality, but we judge them because they have pretty face, or a nice body or whatever. This is what the world has come to.

Please feel free to comment a reply to this. I just thought I needed to get a few things out of my system

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.