Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Young Germans should be forced to 'service' immigrants for 1 year, says politician. watch

ReputationRep:
    German MP Eckhard Rehberg, the one who suggested this idea, said:

"We need compulsory service. We have no other way to be able to manage the mass of refugees and their integration," he said.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh

Could have chosen his words better :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    What? They need their oil and spark plugs changed?

ReputationRep:
    Germans aren't obligated to aid the refugees , but they don't have any other long term alternative.

ReputationRep:
    One year of social service after finishing school used to be fairly common in Germany. I don't know how it is these days.
    It could actually make integration much easier (assuming the refugees want to integrate, of course), so I think it's an interesting idea.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the "refugees" should be put into compulsory service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Maybe the "refugees" should be put into compulsory service.
    It's paid work, I don't think they are allowed to take jobs, are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    It's paid work, I don't think they are allowed to take jobs, are they?
    I wasn't thinking they should be paid tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I wasn't thinking they should be paid tbh.
    No, that doesn't work. What kind of jobs did you have in mind? If you gave them jobs, unpaid, that Germans would get paid doing, then you would push Germans out of work.

Anyway, I doubt the refugees speak German, so they would not be able to do most of the jobs the minister had in mind, i.e. assisting refugees with access to local government, welfare organisations, education, healthcare etc.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.